Happy May Run!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Non-Boating Related
The Canadians on here will know what that is. At least in Northern Ontario. Our first long weekend of summer. Also known as May Two Four. Because in most years it falls around May 24th and also because there's 24 beer in a case. Where i come from in Northern Ontario we called it May Run because in younger years everyone ran to the Bush (Woods for you southern folk and Yanks) to party and was also the usual start of Pickerel fishing season (translation again, Walleye to southern Canada and the U.S.).
But the actual reason is it was Queen Victoria's birthday so as a British Colony at the time a holiday was created. We don't care anymore. It's the first long weekend after winter. Like Memorial Day in the States.
I'd be on the boat but Marina was just allowed to open today and I'm not splashed yet. So a backyard fire with tunes and beer.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
Post edited by Willhound on

Comments

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure will be different celebrations these up coming holidays my neighbors daughter just graduated college they have about 10 people next door and it sounds good to hear people celebrating and enjoying each other’s company 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should add, and appropriate with the post òn what to do with old boats, we used to congregate in an abandoned gravel pit, a couple of hundred late teenager's,  drag an old boat in filled with old tires and light 'er up. Not very environmentally friendly. But the fire and party lasted until dawn.
    Couple of good old Smokey dogs.

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    The Canadians on here will know what that is. At least in Northern Ontario. Our first long weekend of summer. Also known as May Two Four. Because in most years it falls around May 24th and also because there's 24 beer in a case. Where i come from in Northern Ontario we called it May Run because in younger years everyone ran to the Bush (Woods for you southern folk and Yanks) to party and was also the usual start of Pickerel fishing season (translation again, Walleye to southern Canada and the U.S.).
    But the actual reason is it was Queen Victoria's birthday so as a British Colony at the time a holiday was created. We don't care anymore. It's the first long weekend after winter. Like Memorial Day in the States.
    I'd be on the boat but Marina was just allowed to open today and I'm not splashed yet. So a backyard fire with tunes and beer.

Hey Willhound, NICE GETAWAY STICKS!

Tan would be better..................lololol

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They only have sun for 15 minutes...not much tanning going on...
    rasbury said:
    They only have sun for 15 minutes...not much tanning going on...
    Yeah!....and when I was in your blasted State in March it was 55F and too cold for shorts!
    And finally.....S'mores!