No power at aft bilge pump

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I noticed my forward bilge pump running when it should not.  I check the float and it stayed on.  So I cut one of the power wires to it for the time being.  I checked the aft bilge pump and it was not going.  Turn on the manual over-ride switch at the helm and still nothing.  I cut the wires to it and checked them for power with the switch on at the helm.  Nothing.  I checked the bilge pump breakers at the battery panel and they are pushed in.  I pushed them again for good measure.

The wires for the aft bilge come from a bundle so not simple to trace.  I would suspect the float switch, but doesn't it just work in parallel with the switch at the helm?

Not sure what to look at next.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may sound goofy but I wonder based on what you said, are they wired somehow in series and when you cut the mid bilge wire it also cut power to the aft pump?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound , I was just thinking the same.
    2008 330EC
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I've already reconnected the mid bilge pump and it works with it's float and the helm switch now.  But still no power at the aft bilge wires.

Looking at the wiring diagram.  Couple confusing points.  There is the 70 amp breaker in the battery switch panel, but then the diagram shows a 5 amp further down the line.  Not sure where that's located.  Any thoughts?

Also, and maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I'm having a tough time tracing the relationship between the helm bilge switch and the mid bilge pump.  Other than something called Bilge Relay Batt Selector, which again, no idea it's located.  

Has anybody else had to debug a similar issue?  I'm sure it's something dumb.

Stared at the diagram some more and I think the Relay I mentioned powers the front bilge pump.  Been too long since I read schematics.  

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    On my 342 the bilge pumps had quick clip connectors on the power lines and if a connector got loose, no power, connector was not right at the pump but several feet away
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Yeah no quick connects on the 2002.  

I did find the problem, not the cause though.  The ground leg of the circuit was not good.  I was able to read 12v between the hot wire for the pump and the engine block.  So I ran a new ground wire from the pump to the ground block in the bilge and she works.  Not sure if I'll every find the cause of that bad ground.  

Anyway both pumps work as expected now.  On to other post winter gremlins.

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge , any corrosion on the wires? If there is, cut the wire back to clean metal and see if that helps.
    2008 330EC