Options

Battery Installation

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Electrical Discussions
Pulled all three batteries (one house, two starting) due to end-of-life. About to reinstall brand new, but wondering about sequence of cables.

I know you reinstall positive first, then negative. So...

Do I install all three positives first, then all three negatives? Or do I do each battery individually - positive, negative, positive, negative, positive, negative?

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think if the battery switches are off and charger off there would be no draw and safe.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I always do positive first so I’m glad Al said that. My theory was that you have to disconnect the black for the winter so red must have to go first. Also positive is first when jumping a car. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I'd say it is slightly safer to go +++--- rather than +-+-+-.

To understand "positive first," consider what happens if you accidentally touch a grounded object with the second cable.  With "negative first," the positive cable would create a short circuit direct to ground.  With "positive first," the negative cable would still complete a circuit, but the current would have to pass through the load -- which is probably turned off, or at least has some load other than a short circuit.  

So if you go +++---, you're protected against accidentally grabbing the wrong cable.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys learn me every day 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Done! And thanks all for the advice. Only issue I had was the negative post of one of the starting batteries is under part of the generator so I had to connect that negative cable while it was out of position, then slide it into the box, then I could install the house battery and connect everything else up. Except for that one I did connect all positives first, then the negatives. I did all this while laying on my stomach with my head upside down in the engine bay. Now I know how Batman feels.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Saves a lot of space mounting them on their side like that...........lol

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattie said:
    Saves a lot of space mounting them on their side like that...........lol

New game invention: Battery Bank Tetris