Options

Mystery power problem 2008 330 EC

skyman2112skyman2112 Member Posts: 21
Hey group. Went to open the egine hatch last time  and nothing happened. Same with the windlass and the engine compartment blower motor.
 What would make all 3 of these things lose power at once, but everything else works fine. Starts and drives fine.  Was working when i left last week. No breakers tripped, no wires falling out of the breaker panel in the dash or the switch panel in the dash. Where is the 12v bus to supply the breaker panel, is it in the cabin? Dont you love electrical problems!!! 
Post edited by skyman2112 on

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like dead batteries

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is boat plugged in?
    Agree dead battery, could be dead house bank put switch to emergency 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    everything works except these 3 things i mentioned. Batteries are fine.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a common harness plug for them that might have disconnected? Or check for a corroded or broken ground wire.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Is there a common harness plug for them that might have disconnected? Or check for a corroded or broken ground wire.
    great question. Where might i look? its not in the panel on the dash.
  • Options
    I just realized this is the same boat as mine, LoL! I’m not sure, I would check all connections and grounds. Maybe reset the windless breaker and see if that helps the windless.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @skyman2112 - Last season I was chasing the same gremlins as you (blower not working, hatch, cockpit lights, and windlass).  It did indeed turn out to be my batteries. I would recommend you disconnect them, test them - and if good voltage - clean up all the terminals and connections - reconnect and see if that resolves your issues. If they don't test well, then you'll need to replace like I did and all will (hopefully) be well. But the key, IMO, is that you disconnect and test to be sure - that was the only way I knew for sure it was the batteries.  :)
    Post edited by TonyG13 on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    One thing they all have in common is switches at the helm.  Were you doing any work there?  Maybe something pulled loose.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point LaRea - there is a ground block at the helm behind the lower dash panel.  Mine came loose when I was swapping out parts.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    There is actually a power block under the lower dash panel, not sure if I remember a ground block. Definitely check for both.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can have good battery voltage but have it fail under load. Windlass and hatch motors are big current draw. You can have a battery that internally shorts under load.  

The blowers should be wired thru your fire ext so if it trips off the blowers shut. Ground wire for the blowers is thru the fire ext. blowers pull some amps too.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    bingo, a wire at the battery charger was rusted and broken. Apparently it powers these 3 things.
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    @skyman2112 - Last season I was chasing the same gremlins as you (blower not working, hatch, cockpit lights, and windlass).  It did indeed turn out to be my batteries. I would recommend you disconnect them, test them - and if good voltage - clean up all the terminals and connections - reconnect and see if that resolves your issues. If they don't test well, then you'll need to replace like I did and all will (hopefully) be well. But the key, IMO, is that you disconnect and test to be sure - that was the only way I knew for sure it was the batteries. 
    So the engines started fine even thought the batteries couldnt power the windlass or blower? Thats hard to troubleshoot... I have 4 new batteries so its not that. Turned out to be a power cable off the main bus under the battery charger had rusted and cracked.
  • Options
    That’s great @skyman2112 !
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you finally found the issue!