Options

New to boating, hoping to join the Rinker family! Help!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    TokyoXTokyoX Member Posts: 11
    rasbury said:
    Hi Lu and welcome and good luck with the survey. I have the same exact boat but mine is fresh water cooled and I have the generator which is nice but don't use it as much as I thought but that's a different topic.

It looks to be in fantastic shape- I really try to stay after mine and it does not look that good. Perhaps current owner is retired or could afford to have it cosmetically maintained- it looks great and the price good from what I would know.

Yes, not a water rocket but the cost of keeping up with two motors and out drives for my boating was not in the picture. I also did my research and sought this boat. Flew out to TX to look at one, found mine up in the panhandle in a lift also, one owner boat. Some boat designs I saw in this size had much less deck space and a little more cabin space- I really like the 270 design as we spend little time below other than to sleep and it's very comfortable. Also, the single motor you can actually get to- if you look at some of the twins you'd have to pull the motor to change a starter. It does ok- will run nicely at 25 or a little higher and will plane out in 6 seconds or so. You start adding people you may have to move the weight forward to get planed out- or I need a tune up which is over due. I can't really think of anything I don't like about our boat. Make sure there are no gas smells from a leaking tank which all boats are prone to in our year boats...not pretty. No leaks to the bielge are acceptable and do find out when the manifolds we're done. Surveys from my experience are making sure everything operates and the hull is solid- they are not mechanics and do compression checks etc. on the motor so if you have the ability, you might get a mechanic to really look at the power train but with the hours...mine was 100 so I figured worse case he missed an oil change.

Good luck! It's a lot to take in for a first boat but I have no regrets! I don't even have onefootites after 5 years.
    That’s great advice! Thank you this one doesn’t have a generator but does have the AC and hot water heater I believe. The owner is a 77 year old retired guy I think he just doesn’t have the time Or strength to do it anymore + he’s super meticulous about the bot and cosmetically it’s been kept very well, cabin is in great shoe, carpeting still plush 

I don’t mind speed that much I’m more of a go out anchor and hangout versus water sports so maybe that shouldn’t be a biggie for me. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    The boat is in pretty good shape.  Not perfect ... the engine room has not been kept clean.  Sometimes a dirty engine indicates other lapses in maintenance.  But I'd say you got yourself a great boat for the money.  Welcome to the Rinker family!

Don't worry about the discrepancy in engine hours.  As you've heard, sometimes the hour meter will run when you turn the key to "accessory" to play the stereo.

The labor seems a little high, but I agree 100% with doing preventative maintenance.  Ask the mechanic to clean the engine room as part of those 10 hours of labor. 

Are you going to keep the boat in the water?  You'll need bottom paint, and that won't be cheap.  And you'll definitely need to touch up any corrosion on the outdrive.  Corrosion prevention is a big deal on the Bravo 3.
    LaRea said:
    The boat is in pretty good shape.  Not perfect ... the engine room has not been kept clean.  Sometimes a dirty engine indicates other lapses in maintenance.  But I'd say you got yourself a great boat for the money.  Welcome to the Rinker family!

Don't worry about the discrepancy in engine hours.  As you've heard, sometimes the hour meter will run when you turn the key to "accessory" to play the stereo.

The labor seems a little high, but I agree 100% with doing preventative maintenance.  Ask the mechanic to clean the engine room as part of those 10 hours of labor. 

Are you going to keep the boat in the water?  You'll need bottom paint, and that won't be cheap.  And you'll definitely need to touch up any corrosion on the outdrive.  Corrosion prevention is a big deal on the Bravo 3.
    Thank you for the advice, no I don’t plan on keeping it in the water I found a local marina to keep it on a rack for me @ $500/month 
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum the 270 is a great boat and 20k for an 04 is a graet deal. I would not look at the intake manifold but would change exhaust manifolds and risers if they are original. The 04 had the higher swim platform but the stock 22 pitch props seem to make the motor work a little to had look at hill marine 4x4 20 pitch props then if you have more then 2 people on board the boat will still get up and go. A lot of people have chased leaks on this boat the port windows and the mounting if the windshield are things to look at in this boat I dont see any stains on the carpet under the circuit panel so maybe this boat is dry for now. Handing and drivability is great compared to any other 27' boat but get some schooling before you just throttle up go.
    Sweet. Thanks! Yes I’ve heard about the screws on the windshield and how they can leak I will for sure recommend the surveyor to pay special attention to those places, we’ve also had some pretty rad rains here the pay few days which should show anything if there is any leaks 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though the receipts are old it's good to see he had a service center somewhat consistently working on it. Probably hasn't needed much maintenance since he's not using it in the recent years. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, the intake manifold on the vortec engines likes to crack at the back corner runner boss. it could simply be that the tech saw a hairline crack there.  Intake manifolds don't generally go bad, but they do break... especially vortecs... 

The risers and elbows look fine... good, in fact.  The contrast between them and the exhaust manifolds is the concern, and.... why would a tech recommend exhaust manifold gaskets? ..... at the very least I'd scope those cylinders... 

The crank pulley will rust when the paint breaks off... paint will break off when salt water gets under it and reacts to metal... it will not, however, rot as suggested when "needing a new one".  That pulley is attached to the harmonic balancer which is required as those engines are externally balanced.  Does the balance need to be replaced too?  I've seen nasty and corroded balancers and pulleys... I've never seen one so bad someone said "we need to replace that" ... if just the ribs where the belt makes contact, okay, got it.. of the whole thing is about to fall apart? Why? 

Also....... I'd search that engine room for vacant attachment holes in the runners and get a moisture gauge in there.... all these things are consistent with that thing setting in salt water.... inside, not outside.... 
  • Options
    Ras, the intake manifold on the vortec engines likes to crack at the back corner runner boss. it could simply be that the tech saw a hairline crack there.  Intake manifolds don't generally go bad, but they do break... especially vortecs... 

The risers and elbows look fine... good, in fact.  The contrast between them and the exhaust manifolds is the concern, and.... why would a tech recommend exhaust manifold gaskets? ..... at the very least I'd scope those cylinders... 

The crank pulley will rust when the paint breaks off... paint will break off when salt water gets under it and reacts to metal... it will not, however, rot as suggested when "needing a new one".  That pulley is attached to the harmonic balancer which is required as those engines are externally balanced.  Does the balance need to be replaced too?  I've seen nasty and corroded balancers and pulleys... I've never seen one so bad someone said "we need to replace that" ... if just the ribs where the belt makes contact, okay, got it.. of the whole thing is about to fall apart? Why? 

Also....... I'd search that engine room for vacant attachment holes in the runners and get a moisture gauge in there.... all these things are consistent with that thing setting in salt water.... inside, not outside.... 
    For the sake of context here, he recommended some parts be changed because I, as a owner of anything like to keep everything in perfect condition and asked for a estimate to replace anything that could give me headaches in the near future... I know it's not smart to change things that don't necessarily need "replacing" but that's just how I am with my things. He also mentioned that intakes did not need replacing right away but was something to keep in mind for the future, I asked him to just place the cost of replacement on quote as well as I'd like to buy and leave the boat in as close to perfect condition as possible. 
  • Options
    Seems like the glastron would be a lot less boat and also you don't get the support of this wonderful forum 😁. If the glastron is significantly cheaper and you can make it what you want without blowing your budget than maybe it is a better option. The 270 sure is a nice boat and a great platform to continue to add on to, also it does seem like you are getting a good deal on it and have lots of budget to make it "yours" 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TokyoX said:

For the sake of context here, he recommended some parts be changed because I, as a owner of anything like to keep everything in perfect condition and asked for a estimate to replace anything that could give me headaches in the near future... I know it's not smart to change things that don't necessarily need "replacing" but that's just how I am with my things. He also mentioned that intakes did not need replacing right away but was something to keep in mind for the future, I asked him to just place the cost of replacement on quote as well as I'd like to buy and leave the boat in as close to perfect condition as possible. 
    Something goes wrong ever time you take the boat out. Just ask @rasbury
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeps me from hanging out in the pool hall...
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Keeps me from hanging out in the pool hall...
    Hahahaha
  • Options
    See if you had a Glastron you would miss out on all these great jokes 😆
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    See if you had a Glastron you would miss out on all these great jokes 😆
    touche! haha