Options

Mercury scan tool.

RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
Any recommendations for a Mercury engine scan tool? Not looking to spend a ton of money. 

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Mercury Engine Scan tool and not a ton of money are difficult to combine in the same sentence. Unless you get really lucky and find a used one before it gets snapped up. And most that I've seen used are either out of date on the software or didn't have the adapters and once you add those...
    I'd be happy to be corrected though, I'd like one too. The Rinda is the most commonly found. Beware some of the cheap OBD readers advertised on Amazon etc. If you read the specs I've never found one that is compatible or gives any useful information.
    I have seen where 5 or 6 guys will get together and chip and or work in conjunction with their marina to get a shared unit. But you know how that goes sometimes.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I have seen a few cheaper tools online but I am reluctant to buy them without talking to someone who has one. Online reviews are sketchy at best.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at Rinda. I have no experience with them but maybe someone can chime in on that brand. They are $500 which would be a quick return on your investment if you save from having a tech come and spend a few hours on it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 45
    i have both rinda and m.e.d.s and strongly suggest rinda 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Rinda scan tool think it was $450 with the mercuiser ecm555 adapter. It does more then the manual says on my 2005 350. Have to have patience to use it as it is one screen at a time. It will give you hours,codes and each sensor at a time.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I don't currently have a need for the tool but I liked the idea of having one on hand during boating season in case something happens so I can quickly diagnose the problem. I will look into the Rinda. Maybe I can catch one on sale.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have a need for lots of stuff until you need it then it becomes a problem. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988