Options

need 12v source for Radar installation - 2004 342FV

elangoneelangone Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
Hey folks - 
I'm installing a Garmin radar, and need to tap into the 12V system, preferably in the engine compartment area, since the cable comes down the starboard side radar arch.  I'd rather not have to run that up to the helm and try to find power there.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ed
2004 Fiesta Vee 342 "It's All About Kelly"

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Ed, just an FYI that running power to the helm from behind the ice maker couldn’t be easier. Huge opening between the two areas, just pull the sub woofer to help run it up to the helm area
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Agree - it's not too bad getting to the helm.  

If you go to the ER:  You probably already have multiple wires connected directly to the batteries by previous owners.  Resist the temptation to add yet another one.  Consider installing a small breaker panel with a single connection to the battery.

This one sells for $41, but maybe you don't need six breakers.  
    ST Blade 6-Position Fuse Block
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......or buy it and use the opportunity to clean-up your wiring area a bit. Rinker made awesome boats but the wiring behind their panels was often haphazard. I cleaned-up the areas behind both my Rinker cruisers the best I could.
  • Options
    elangoneelangone Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I actually love the idea of adding a little fuse panel.  If I do, which battery do I wire it to? If I were to go to the helm, any idea where to connect? 
    Thank you all for the great info!!
    2004 Fiesta Vee 342 "It's All About Kelly"
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Connect to house battery