LED Navigation lights

Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
I installed a set of those 12" Obcurso lights today. Not to easy getting to wires in anchor rope compartment. They are really bright. I'm kind of concerned they may too bright as to make it harder to see at night or not being legal.  Guess I will find out how long the will last. At $ 13.00 it was worth a try. One thing for sure. You be visible to anyone looking.

Comments

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Nav lights must be USCG certified and IMO those do not look like they'd meet USCG requirements. Did the package or the lights have the USCG certification listed?
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the geometry of the bow.  If the lights are visible from farther back than 22.5 degrees past the beam, they are not legal.  Or if you can see both lights when you're not dead ahead, fail.  

They claim to be 1-mile lights, which would meet the brightness spec.  A 2-mile light is safer, but 1 is the minimum.  

Understanding the Importance of Marine Navigation Lighting
  • Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    They may have to do a little geometry to write you a ticket if for that reason.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    The smart water police will know how to determine that.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

The point is safety, not citations.  Suppose you get rammed by another boat because your improper lights made the captain think you were going a different direction.  That's the reason for having lights that conform with the regs.   

I hate to say this about any boat project, but personally, I'd press the "undo" key on this one.  
    @Stever00 here's a dangerous example. 

Suppose we are approaching each other at night almost head-on, except you'll pass on my starboard side.  Normally, I'd see your green light.  I'd hold course, or maybe steer slightly to port, and we'd be fine.  

With your boat, instead of seeing green, I'd see both green and red.  Obviously, I'd have to assume you're coming straight towards me, so I'd alter course to starboard.  That could potentially take me right into your path.  
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    @Stever00 - From your photo it looks like you still have your original nav lights in place on deck.

You could do a walk around with both your old and new lights on. When you walk around you should see your current OEM lights "disappear" at the correct regulation angles. If your new lights do exactly the same, you're probably OK. If you don't see your OEM light at those angles and still see your new ones, then they do not conform to regs and should either be adjusted to match or removed.
    BTW don't worry about them being too bright.  It's legal to have 2-mile bow lights, and they are are MUCH brighter than 1-mile lights.  
  • Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    I think the bigger issue on the lakes and river where I will be is being seen.