Options

Prop cleaning process with Muriatic Acid?

Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
I bought some muriatic yesterday, after reading that many of you have brought stainless props back to a sparkling shine.  What I couldn't find, is the process of doing it.  Do I need to remove the props?  I have a Bravo 3 on mine.  Or can I just lower them all the way, so nothing can drain into the inner shafts.  
Also, how long do I let it sit on there?  Mine are pretty gnarly looking!  Thank you. 
2000 Captiva 232 

Comments

• Options
    Here is how they look currently...
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put the acid in a spray bottle and diluted it down. I removed my props, and sprayed the acid mixture on and let it work its magic. I then rinsed the props off. They will clean up nice. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg is that left on 5 minutes, hours, days?  Any scrubbing, or just rinsing?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I left it on until the acid quit sizzling. Then rinsed off. Depending on how bad the props are, it might need reapplied. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Do you think it's a BAD thing, to spray them when they are still mounted on the drive?  Being careful to not let it get inside the shaft of course....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will not hurt the shafts. Might discolor the outdrive paint.  I take mine off and use The Works toilet bowl cleaner. Zero effort. Like new. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can the acid harm the shaft seal?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Can the acid harm the shaft seal?
    How about at least get the drive in the down position - that will minimize the seal contact. I’ve used some strong gel hull cleaners that way. Props come out nice.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry LakeBum - guess you already said to lower the drive..... 

preachin to the choir.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you already bought the acid?  Vinegar is much less abrasive, cheap and tough on oxidation.  
  • Options
    I chose to leave them on, lowered all the way, and sprayed on very carefully, as to not get any on the outdrive paint.  It definitely ate some of the gunk off, you could hearing it sizzling.  But they don't look like new.  I'd say about a 40% improvement or so.....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about using an angle grinder with a Scotchbrite pad on my props. I have polished other types of metal using one.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lake_Bum use a stiff nylon brush (never metal) and they'll shine. Another reason to take them off first though as the brush can spray the acid around. Or if left on the drive carefully use a nylon scrubbing pad with heavy rubber gloves on of course. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I was paranoid doing it lol.  I had latex gloves, but every time I would spray some, I would rinse my hands with the hose.  Watching that crap sizzle on the props is sort of freaky when you're holding the bottle in your hands!  
    2000 Captiva 232