Fuel Tank Corroded 99 270 FV - Freshwater

rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
I found a ton of fuel in my bilge when I gassed up my boat to start the season, pulled the plug and caught the fuel then siphoned the tank.  The tank corroded.  Disappointed is an understatement.  Being a 1999 with a repowered 383 Stroker ('15) with 162 hours, I wasn't crazy about ripping the cabin apart to drop another tank in, especially as this boat has leaks from the top- hence the corroision.

My mechanic and I decided to put a 39 gallon tank in below deck.  I am in Chicago and use this on rivers and lake Michigan and never get anywhere near 20 gallons of use in a day. I carry BoatUS as a general Plan B.  I went with smaller waste tank to make room in the engine compartment, the fresh water tank and water heater will help counterweight the fuel. 

Here's pictures of the setup.  Battery placement isn't still being assessed.  It has not been in the water yet but I suspect a bit of listing...  The journey down this path is done.  I feel it's safe but interested to hear any risk that this might carry so that I can double check it.  Fuel line isn't connected yet nor is the gauge sender, as you can tell from the pictures.  It goes in the water this week.

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    While that set up will kill resell value and hurts crusing range greatly, if thay works for you and your family its very clean looking and functional.

Imho the water holding tank and black water tank should sit below the aft cabin and twin fuel tanks belong on each side of the engine bay.  Batteries would fit will forward of the tanks on each side.  Plastic water tanks rarely go bad.  Aluminum tanks live 10 to 15 years average. 

• rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    The only value in this boat is the engine, lower unit, and triple axle aluminum trailer.  There's a thousand 270s for sale, many with light powered engines and fuel tank that's waiting to fail. BTW, I was the guy that posted the question "What do you with a boat that won't sell" on this forum.
    Please dont think i was being negative and bashing your set up.   Like i said, the original fuel tanks on these should sit on either side of the engine.  A get you out tank and get you back tank.  You could easily fit 2 well designed 50 or even 60 gallon tanks on each side of the engine.  

I like the saftey of dual tanks in a boat and a no cut removal design. The engine has to come out but that takes an hour.
    I didn't pick up on any negativity, I like your idea and agree w it. My boating day is drive asa distance, cut the engine and hangout.  There's lots of gas docks along the way.  This boat will probably stay on this river system as it suits the lifestyle very well.  Your insight is always appreciated P.R.!!
    Have you ran on the 383 yet?

Im working on selling my rinker and my saiboat to get a bayliner 2859

Like your 270 they are single screw and under powered with a 350.  A bravo 3 helps make up for that but single leg bravo 3 wont last as long as the bravo 2 due to the strain she takes to move the hull. The 350 also pays the price on longevity.

While my alpha 1 fv235 with tired 350 gets on plain quickly and can scoot 30 plus mph i feel boats north of 7000 lbs need more umph.

I like the ease of finding cheap parts and plentiful parts for the sbc but feel i should hold out for a 454.

My second choice would be a 300 plus hp 383.  I feel like putting as much aluminium on her as possible could help with the hp to weight ratio.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a bladder in the tank 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh good someone brought it up that knows more than me. Is a bladder possible for boat tanks? Seems weird to me that there wouldn't be bladders or a liner of some sort to begin with. I did see they have bladder tanks for auxiliary use but maybe you can cut open the tank and put it inside of there? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    A member on this board did a bladder tank. 

I am pretty sure my boat was a budget build, didn't have swim platform, AC, gen.  The 5.7 engine was tired and underpowered when it died.  The 383 (350 HP) madeimade itait new boat.  Lots of pep out of the hole, no more effort of moving people around the boat to get on plane.  It brings the Vesselview engine data.