Options

Distributor and TDC

CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Engine Discussions
Hey folks, I'm after some advice and know there are some seriously talented guys on this forum.  I have been having issues with both engines running rich and bogging about 3000 RPM for sometime, I've had two mechanics out and they've pretty much give up.  Thought I would take a look myself.  I think I had an intake manifold leak so replaced with an upgraded fel-pro gasket and hopefully should sort it.  I was making sure the base timing was correct as I had to remove the distributor and something doesn't look right to me.  I have completed the following steps so far:
  • Rotated the engine by hand to TDC (0 degrees)
  • Taken the rocker cover off to make sure both intake and exhaust valves are closed, they are so it's on the compression stroke.
  • While at TDC I re-installed the distributor and gave it a nudge by hand to align the oil pump.  She's now seated correctly.
I now have a couple of questions hopefully someone can help me with.
  1. The rotor arm on the distributor is pointing towards the front of the engine at TDC and to line up number one I would have to rotate the cap out of position. This doesn't seem quite right.  Should the rotor point this way when at TDC (photo attached).
  2. Have I got the distributor installed correctly?  Should the ignition module be at the front or rear?  Could it be 180 degrees out?
I have scratching my head for a while so need some help. :-)
Cheers Dan

"Pipe Dream"
2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

Post edited by CaptianDan on

Answers

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This is an Alswag question if there had ever been one.  Im sure a Google search on hull truth, off shore only and iboats will give results. Will be the same as an automotive application as well.  

My coil is external, timing at i think 1200 rpms is 8 degrees.  Im thunder bolt iv so mine may have different base timing. 

As to where number one is on the distributor, it doesn't matter, can be at any post, the firing order just has to be that, in order. When you kill the engine it doesnt stop at cyl one each time.   

Get her together and set to proper timing

If your dizzy is good and tight, no codes, properly gapped new plugs, wires and dist cap/rotary button and coil id do a compression test

If that looks good. You're most likely having a fuel system issue.  

Timing, compression, fuel and spark.  If having an issue k.i.s.s. and eliminate one at a time.  

Fuel system issues keep my shop in business.  Tis spring time in the northern hemisphere and most boats have sat all winter.  

• Options
    Thanks Rick.  I'm really looking for where the rotor is positioned when number 1 is at TDC, traditionally this used to point at the location physically (I think) but I don't think it does on the 350 MAG but I'm not sure.  Hopefully @Alswagg can help me out :-)

"Pipe Dream"

• Options
    Since youre establishing timing id put the number one as close on the to that rotary button prong, should be about right where that Phillips scew head is by the lead.

Since you have had the distributor out your timing will be off and need adjusted anyways. Loseing the dizzy you can rotate it to be exactly on cyl one.  I like to mark my dizzy before removing but too late now lol.  

Again, it will need to he adjusted anyway, get close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades and bump the key.  

If she doesnt fire right up you know you're 180 degrees off, mark, pull, rotate and reinstall.  Do it over again.

• Options
    Its much easier finding tdc on an engine with solid lifters than it is on hydraulic.  
  • Options
    Thank you @Alswagg.  Could you confirm if I set the the marks on the harmonic balancer as zero or 8BTDC?  I think it's zero and then put her in service mode and set to 8BTDC.  I have two 350 MAG MPI's.

"Pipe Dream"

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set dizzy at 0°
    Then timing at 8° in service mode.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct