Options

Mercruiser 5.0 Oil change

kh1978uiuckh1978uiuc Member Posts: 6
So I went to change the oil on my 1998 Rinker Captiva 212 for the first time the other day.  Ran the engine for a few minutes to warm it up, fed the extractor tube on my hand pump down the dipstick tube and started pumping.  But the oil just sputters out at a very slow rate.  I must have pumped for at least 15 -20 minutes and only got about a quart of oil out.  Is there a trick to doing this?  Maybe my little hand pump just sucks so I'm thinking I will buy a 12v pump online.  Anyone had similar issues?  Also, how do I figure out what oil filter is correct?  I don't have the original manual but I tried looking up the part number on MercuryMarine.com on the partfinder but can't find it.  I purchased a 
Quicksilver 866340Q03 and it seems to indicate that it fits almost all Mercruiser engines but I want to be sure.  

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My engine is a 1988 model 5.7 in a 93 rinker.  The wix oil filter number is 57009. 

The napa is 27099

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Quicksilver part number you have is correct.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    kh1978uiuckh1978uiuc Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the advice.  I ended up getting a 12V pump and it worked much better than the hand pump.  Also, someone told me to go to Mercurymarine.com and email customer service my question about the filter.  To my surprise, they responded quickly and confirmed the filter I have is correct.  Plus they gave me a bunch of other recommendations on maintenance like correct oil, gear lube, etc.  Very helpful.