Options

Leak After Launch

kordokordo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
Two days after launching my boat, I found 2 inches of water in the bilge.  I pumped it out and am waiting to see if any more water enters.  The same thing happened last year, but the bilge stayed dry after about a week.  I am in a covered slip so it wasn't rain water.  Is it possible that the seals in the stern drives could dry out over the winter and need to settle a bit after launching?  Has anyone experienced this?  I am stumped.  Thanks.    

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking the torque specs of the transom shield bolts/studs (ones you can reach) is/ should be part of seasonal service.

• Options
    Thanks.  Good idea to check the less expensive fixes first.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those should not back off should they? Leaks don't stop by themselves...the source might but a leak waits for a fix!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rasbury is the king of leaks
  • Options
    Hey, I wear my crown proudly  
  • Options
    It shouldnt leak but it is a foam round gasket.  

There are also steering pins and bellows that could leak.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not the king of leaks?? 

I would agree with you Als... until the last mechanic fixed my boat.. it was completely dry for a LONG time, until the rain started... like a month or two, bone dry.. was great.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    my bilge is dry too 
  • Options
    sigh...did not resolve my leak...my shift cable boot had a tear in it but apparently not leaking that bad...still have my leak...I filled the boat up with water, nothing...for sure not a thru hull or the depth finder....Y pipe? Or that hose from the transom for the water pickup...does not seem to put any more water in the bilge running than sitting so it has to be in that hose somewhere....or at the raw water pump....sigh...
  • Options
    Outboards dont have that issue 🤔  who's gonna pony up for a few 250s on the back of a 270???
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭
    2 inches of water does seems excessive.  For reference, my 232 always seems to have maybe a gallon or two, after being in the lake for 4 or 5 days.  A little is normal....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Outboards dont have that issue 🤔  who's gonna pony up for a few 250s on the back of a 270???
    So I was on one of these a couple weekends ago... it's just a dream for now as the price needs about 10 years before it'll be even CLOSE to what I could afford... but **** was it a nice compromise.. https://www.regalboats.com/model/33-xo-outboard/
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @kordo what model n year of boat is it ?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outboards are so expensive!!! Yes they do solve some problems but the price is outrageous. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    trip_n, it's a 2011 360, I noticed after launching last Friday, a small stream coming from the port side at the transom which has now stopped.  It was enough to put about 2 inches of water in the bilge after 2 days.  Now I have the same thing from the starboard side at the transom.  Going to the boat today and will check again.  Thanks.

• Options
    Just to bring you up to date, pumped out the bilge on June 7 and now on June 11, my bilge was bone dry.  No leaks.  WTH.  Only things I can think of are gaskets dried out over the winter or something in the stern drives/transom got knocked out of kilter during 1.5 mile transport from indoor storage to marina.  I haven't taken the boat out on the lake yet, so I don't know if the leaks will come back after a run but right now I can't find anything online to explain it and the mechanics at my marina have never seen anything like it.  Here is a pic.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    That sounds very suspect. I would run the motors at the dock for 15 mins and see if anything shows up... there are plenty of cooling lines, etc... that are above the water line that may leak?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might just have been the wake coming over the swim deck as you slowed down ... or some water was puddled somewhere from a hose down ... and it just moved when the boat was moved.  

Just keep an eye on it ... it might not be that serious.  

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"