Options

What’s The Noise?

The3rdSunThe3rdSun Member Posts: 20
Pretty irritating “whining” upon startup.  Runs fine other than this.  Any ideas?  Does a starter whine?  

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly your fuel pump. When you turn your key on and hear the “beep”, wait a couple of seconds for the pump to pressurize then start it. Try that and see how it goes.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sounds like its your starter is headed south  to me. If it were your fuel pump it would continue after the motor starts.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like starter dragging to me as well but hard to tell.  I like db electric for prices but id also have the oem one rebuilt to keep as a spare on the shelf.
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking starter as well.
  • Options
    Starter on the 350 Mag is in a great spot too right? Ugh.  Shop wait is about 3 weeks and Im not exactly a mechanic.  
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I’m not sure, it sounds like the starter is cranking the engine over fine. Either way, you need time between key to the on position and then to start.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    You dont need to be a mechanic to change a starter. You just need to be able to hold a 30 lbs starter on place with one hand while starting the bolts with the other 

Also make sure the battery switch is off before touching the hot wire or you'll get some fun sparks.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick, your leaving out standing on your head whilst performing this task!
  • Options
    I changed one on my 01 242, definitely doable. I can’t remember but I think I removed the batteries to help better access.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Rick, your leaving out standing on your head whilst performing this task!
    Exactly. While drinking a beer. It really takes some talent. 
  • Options
    I spent 3 hours last weekend removing a starter bolt broken off in my motor.

Do you guys have the bilge mount starter like mine or the newer high mount starter?
  • Options
    low...can't imagine putting a starter that low in in the bilge...get a little water in there and takes a bath which I'm thinking not so good!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Mine is mounted in the exact same spot as a 1987 Chevy 1500 truck with v8.  It's about level with the starboard side motor mount.  

Extracting a broken starter bolt was not what i call fun.  Im glad im only about 165 lbs,  the older and heavier i get the more i lose my flexibility.  

I had to make a guide to center the drill bit using a drilled section of the broken starter bolt and a 90 degree adapter on my drill. 

I didn't have ez outs at the house, luckily it was loose enough i was able to tap a 3 inch torqz driver bit into the drilled hole and walk it out with my fingers.

I've heard of the newer high bell housing mounted starters but have not seen one in person.

6-8 inches of water in my bilge would about submerge my starter.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I have zero sympathy for central and south Florida bilge issues. 😝

That's what you get for year round boating.  Jealousy is a difficult feeling to deal with.
  • Options
    Any update @The3rdSun ?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Headed to the shop tomorrow. Tightened the positive connection on the starter yesterday and it stopped for a short time.  By end of day it was making the noise again and the last start I had alarm beeping.  Not sure what’s up. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try it at 56 and 265. That's what my skinny mechanic is for.  :D
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I'm 62 and 225 so