Options

Power Supply for TV Antenna Gaincontrol/Booster

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Installed one of these on my arch yesterday:
http://www.glomex.it/leisure/eng/antenna-tv-V9125-12.php and managed to get the coax routed to the TV. It uses a small signal booster/gain control that requires 12V power. According to the specs it draws 20mA. My quickest and easiest source is to splice into the feed for a 12v accessory outlet located right at the TV location. Easy peasy.
Should I be concerned at all that the draw on this is continuous? Doesn't seem like much draw. Could install some kind of toggle switch I suppose.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I would say there should be no concern there at all.  I've had one with mine as well and I actually have forgot about it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Legend02Legend02 Member Posts: 8
    Question is do you get any channels?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same antenna and depending on the weather we get anywhere from 10-20 channels 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Cooking shows. Public TV and all the episodes of Welcome Back Kotter you want.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    I get only one, but it comes in perfect. So I can get the local news and weather. There are only 4 OTA channels listed in our area anyway and two I wouldn't bother watching. The 4th one might come in on different areas of the lake, I haven't been out much yet to test it. Antenna looks nice on the arch though. 😆
  • Options
    Legend02Legend02 Member Posts: 8
    I'm on simcoe as well ... what channel is it? City?
  • Options
    Legend02 said:
    I'm on simcoe as well ... what channel is it? City?
    CTV2 Barrie. Thought I would get CHCH, Global and CBC also but no dice. But I haven't tried on the far north side of the lake nearer to where their transmitters are yet either. It may also be from the auto scan feature on the tv that searches for channels but if it doesn't get a strong signal it skips it. Haven't found a way yet to force it to stay on a channel manually even if the signal isn't perfect.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks - throw in All In The Family...what more do you need?  Lol
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine works really well..we are an air TV family/netflix and the boat gets more channels than I do in the house...it has a switch inside the tv cabinet. I have a long cable so I can put it on the helm- will split the cable one of these days...
  • Options
    Yep, just depends where you live. The more local channels, the more chance they have an over the air signal. For most portable antenna's that means about a 20 mile radius from the transmitter.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I got CTV, Global and CHCH. Feel like I won the lottery! Would like CBC but I can’t figure out how to force the channels either. SuperSonic TV. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @YYZRC mine's Supersonic also. If you look at the tower locations there are more closer to you.