Best oil change pump?

Looking for some recommendations on the best options for oil change pumps. Any strong opinions out there? Manual Electric Permenant hose on drain plug? Thanks for your input. I have a 2005 270 with the 350 Thanks

Comments

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Try this. Its what I use. It's just a little $25 Harbor Freight fluid pump adapted with a few fittings and hose from Lowes/Hm Depot. If the rise substantial I'll prime it with a bit of oil first.

(YOUTUBE LINK)

Good luck. Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking for the same info, also how to change lower unit fluid.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    I noticed in the above video that he did not tell you to unscrew part where you put the oil in so air can vent in while you are pumping the oil out.
    Post edited by seguir on
    Hey guys, On the dipstick question: the suction hose is placed onto the dipstick tube (at 36sec on vid) which is typical in a marine engine. I guess I chould remove the fill cap but the oil comes out so well its really not restricted anyway.

As for the lower unit: You could use a typical little hand pump (see pic) but I use a 12v filler/suction pump (pic). After draining the lower unit as seem on numerous Youtube vids. I insert the little pumps hose adapter into the lower unit at the base, and the suction end into a fresh qt of oil. I connect the pump to my portable 12v jumpstart pack and within 30sec it's time for the next Qt. It's a handy pump for draining fluid tanks like your trim pump or filling hard to reach places like a cars drive axle or whatever. Hope that helps. Mike

Suction on dipstick tube (with the DS out ;) ) and the outflow into a container. 12v fluid pump to battery and hold onto that hose or you'll be a mess.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    This one does a good jobimage

This one does a great job the one I own

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Boatin BillBoatin Bill Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

I would suggest a 12 volt diesel fuel pump. You can pick them up from Harbor freight or Graingers.  Do not use the dip stick method as it leaves a quart of dirty oil in the bottom of the pan. Mounted to the transom should be a rubber hose to each engine that is connected to the oil pan were the sump plug would normally go. Remove the rubber hose from the transom and hook your 12 volt pump to it. Start the motor for 10 min to let the oil warm up. You will remove all the oil and crud. Then when you check the oil after refill it will actually look clean!

BB, That HF 12v fluid pump works pretty easily for me. I agree that a drain hose attachment at the drain plug is a preferred option to get nearly all the old oil out, but I don't think it's very typical. Here's the drain plug view taken a few days ago of my very average '04 Mercruiser 5.7 .(pic below)

I'd really like to hear from somebody who has dropped their pan and see how close the dip stick tube gets to the very bottom.  I'd guess it's far closer than a typical automotive application that would leave quite a bit of residual oil. :-?  Mike

No drain hose here....but it could be added with some effort (barely room for a mini camera). Easily added with the engine pulled.

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Below is a link to the hand pump I use, works really well when the oil is warm. I also use a graduated bucket to see how much oil I get out. The tube fits in the dipstick tube and will go all the way to the bottom of the pan.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=15607&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50396&classNum=50402#.Ue6vz22LXok
    2008 330EC
  • Boatin BillBoatin Bill Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I know the hose attachment was standard on the 342 as early as 2005 as verified by my buddies boat. The dip stick leaves at least a quart of oil in the pan.  I learned the hard way by over filling on my first oil change before I learned of the drain on the pan. It always bothered me when I would change the oil only to find it still looking dirty on the dip stick.
    Mine leaves no oil in the pan and it draws through the dipstick I add 6.5 quarts to my 7.4 and it's clear and right on the full mark.

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

the dipstick may tap through the skirt to get to the pan, but it ~does~ get to the pan... retrieving oil through the neck with a tube that reaches the bottom of the pan isn't that difficult, and you should be able to expect to get it all..

the concerns I would have by ~not~ pulling the plug, is seeing if there are shavings.. trying to get a magnet down the tube would be more frustrating than arguing and contorting to reach the plug..

my thoughts, for what ever value they may or may not have, is to make the job tough the first time, and the first time only- install a fumoto valve, w/ tubing attached that will reach the bilge's drain plug..

just my .02.....

edited to add: check the link
    edited July 2013

Found a confirmation of the DS tube depth on another boating forum (LINK) So here it is.....

"when i had my 5.7 out last winter to put an oil pan on it i did knowdece that the dipstick tube is roughly 1/2" or so off the bottom of the oil pan. so to answer your questionm, no you will never pump it dry. i installed a oil drain kit, which is just a 90 degree fitting in place of the drain plug with a 36" long section of fuel injection hose. i wanted all the old oil out when i do oil changes. now when i do oil changes i put 5.5 quarts in."

So when my oil pan gets replaced in a season or two there'll be a valve and drain hose installed. Good input from the RBOC crew. Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_11151_10001_313820_-1?icid=HF3_8

just bought this manual oil changer from West Marine last week. It was on sale for 71.99

• seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    PartsMan....I bought the same one....I found it slow.   Took around 1/2 hour, and did not live to its claim of not having to pump it during the process.   My oil had cooled down before getting to the bottom of the pan.
  • PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

The only reason I bought the pump was to drain out about a quart of oil that I over filled during the oil change. I usually drain with a hose though the drain plug when I'm pulled out. With the pump I plan to use both to drain quicker.

FYI: It did drain itself after about 25 pumps. But, I do understand how it seems to be slow. My take on the drain speed: " how fast will oil flow threw that small hose stuck into a dip stick " 

I had that pump up can and worked great for a few years but the hand pump went bad and it can't be rebuilt so now I have a funny lookin' gas can  :))

• ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the comments. Sounds like I will investigate a down the dipstick pump method, as opposed to using the dipstick tube itself. I hope not to have the engine out but if I ever do I suppose I will instal a drain hose fitting on the pan for ease. Thanks. Always great advice here. Nick