342 - Replace stereo and wiring new remotes

SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
We are looking at replacing the stereo and remotes in our 2003 342.  The stereo replacement seems relatively easy and I know how to do that part.  I do not, however, have any idea of how to run the wires for the remotes.  Do you run the wires from the remote to the stereo, or from the stereo to the remotes?  I honestly have no idea of how to run the wires, so any help you guys can give me will help.

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am about to tackle this as well. Was planning to use the existing remote wires to pull through the new wires. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably can't use the existing wires to pull new ones.  In general, all original wires are cable-tied to other wires along the entire length.  

I ran cables from the stereo head to the helm in my 342.  It's not too bad if you like that sort of thing. 

Go along the top of the valence above the stbd port windows, then along the stbd side to the helm.  The hard part is getting past the helm bulkhead.  Remove the subwoofer, remove the ice maker, and find a smallish human to crawl in there.  Way up by the helm, there's a small gap just big enough to shove cables through it.  

I don't remember how I got past the stbd hanging locker.  I think I pulled down the headliner and used a fish tape.  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran the cables for my new remotes by using a fish tape. The old ones were wire tied to the existing split loom, so using them to pull the new ones would not work out. I replaced my stereo with a Clarion M608 and two new remotes. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    The Fusion that I put in my 342 last year uses wireless "puck" remotes. I put one at the helm and one near the transom door. They work great and no need to run wires. Just a thought. You may not be considering Fusion. (I did have an electronics guys run NMEA 2000 from the stereo to the helm, but I didn't see how he did it. Pretty sure it was exactly how LaRea described it though.)

Dan
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    DanW said:
    The Fusion that I put in my 342 last year uses wireless "puck" remotes. I put one at the helm and one near the transom door. They work great and no need to run wires. Just a thought. You may not be considering Fusion. (I did have an electronics guys run NMEA 2000 from the stereo to the helm, but I didn't see how he did it. Pretty sure it was exactly how LaRea described it though.)

Dan
    Assume the remotes need 12V power just don’t need to be direct wired to the head unit? If so, that is cool! Gonna upgrade our stuff this summer.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with most wiring jobs, a helper makes all the difference.  
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    You might be able to splice into the existing remote wire.  There's nothing special about those wires.  I replaced my unit and used the existing remotes.  Different brand and every...just worked.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    mattie said:
    DanW said:

Dan
    Assume the remotes need 12V power just don’t need to be direct wired to the head unit? If so, that is cool! Gonna upgrade our stuff this summer.

No, they use watch batteries so you don’t even need power. Which seems to be Ok. They’ve been in for a year now and I haven’t changed the battery yet. 
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR
  • pkullmannpkullmann Member Posts: 7
    I just did this on my 320. My stereo head unit is above the TV on the port side. I had to run the cable up and above the headliner to starboard,  through the top of the head and then up behind the helm.   I did use a fish tape that helped a lot.  I'm using Kenwood stereo and remotes, power is in the cable. so no additional connections.  What I haven't done yet is run back to the transom remote but I think I can just put the Y cable on the end of the helm remote and go back from there.  I did use the fish tape initially to help figure out a path for the cable. 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    You might be able to splice into the existing remote wire.  There's nothing special about those wires.  I replaced my unit and used the existing remotes.  Different brand and every...just worked.
    Depends on the radio. I went from an old Clarion 6 pin to the new 8 pin which would require new wires if I wanted the remotes screen to work. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Too bad Alpine got out of the marine line. They had wireless remotes that just needed 12V power and ground. I actually have a few of the Alpine MC10's. Saving them incase I need to replace the one on the boat. They are hard to find and only work with 3 of the Alpine marine head units.
  • bert_floridabert_florida Member Posts: 69
    DanW said:

Dan
    Hey Dan, what particular Fusion unit did you install on your 342? Fusion has a lot of different units, just trying to figure out what route to go. Also, their size is a bit awkward seems like, wonder if they fit nicely in the "single din" space where the original receiver was. Thanks!

Bert
  • MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    We have a 2003 342 and we had the factory Kenwood stereo and remotes. I found a marine Kenwood that had a single wire input for steering wheel controls. I attached the existing single wire from the remotes to the new stereo and they work. Only issue is the radio I bought the Bluetooth feature has a short range. I can not get my phone past the cabin door. I just keep it in the cabin and use the remotes.  
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MojosBoat , I wonder if you can install a separate Bluetooth receiver to extend your range. I installed a JL Bluetooth receiver to my non Bluetooth radio and it works great.
    2008 330EC
  • MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    @areo3113 the radio I bought does not have and input other than the USB on the front and Bluetooth connection. I will make it work this season and probably change it all out over the winter. 
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
    DanW said:

Dan
    Hey Dan, what particular Fusion unit did you install on your 342? Fusion has a lot of different units, just trying to figure out what route to go. Also, their size is a bit awkward seems like, wonder if they fit nicely in the "single din" space where the original receiver was. Thanks!

Bert
    I installed the MS-AV755. I wanted to be able to play DVDs and send picture to my tv. It is a single DIN. It just has a larger face. 

Dan
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR