Options

VHF Radio and 12 volt TV's will not power up

WaveHogWaveHog Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
I've got a weird issue on my 2008 350 Express Cruiser.  A couple days after replacing my house batteries I noticed that my VHF Radio and 12 volt TV's will not turn on (I had not used either since the battery change).......the odd issue is that both the VHF and the TV's actually have power running to the devices.  I checked and replaced all fuses, then put the Ohm meter on them to check for power and sure enough I have power.  I'm really baffeled.  Not sure the issues are related but seems odd both issues presented at the same time.  On the VHF I went one step farther and bought a new unit to screw into the fitting by the helm and it won't come on either, I can't find where the head unit for the VHF is located but since I have power at the pin connectors I don't believe thats the issue.... Heading back to the boat on Thursday, any ideas anyone has for me to run out would be great.....thanks so much!!!

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you missed a ground wire on the battery?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    On some models, the VHF head unit is on the starboard side of the cockpit.  When you are sitting at the helm, it's down at foot level under your right elbow.  You can probably reach it by removing the subwoofer.  Power should be coming from a breaker at the helm -- one of the pop-up button breakers.  But, on a 12-year-old boat, who knows what a previous owner might have done.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    However, since you were messing with batteries, I'd guess @reneechris14 is right and you missed a wire that should have been reconnected.  
  • Options
    WaveHogWaveHog Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I'll go back down in "the hole" and see if I can find any missing wires.....I've looked twice and did not find anything, maybe I'll ask a friend to poke around with a fresh set of eyes to find something that I might have missed...thanks for the comments
     and I would welcome any more!!