Options

Grill pedestal mount

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
I’m going to mount a pedestal mount for my grill on the swim platform. How long of screws do you think I should get? I was thinking 1”? This is a hollow platform so they won’t protrude underneath. Not enough room to get in there and through bolt it (don’t think is necessary anyway). Also, those of you who have done the same, did you taper the holes that were drilled to prevent cracking or is it not necessary?

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a pretty much identical mount, in almost the same spot but on the other side away from my fuel cap. I used 1 1/4" stainless bevel head screws and a wad of 4200 underneath and in each screw hole. I drilled a pilot hole just slightly smaller and used a larger bit to bevel out the surface as you mentioned. Worked great!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used 3” bolts with a nylon lock nut on the underside. Use 4000 because of the UV protection. Put the post on the base and mark the hole locations. I did this so I could angle the grill. I used oval head phillips bolts. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    For what it’s worth, I mounted my grill in the corner closer to the boat. When rafted off and grilling, it is hard for others to walk from boat to boat. You can see the mount below the shore power location.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yea, @Cableguy Greg , if you look at my first pic I put a line with a pencil so I have the correct angle. If I put it in the corner, you don’t think it will be too close to the fuel fill? It will also block my transom shower. I’ll have to mock it up before I install it and see where will work best.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Your platform is longer than mine and my fuel fill is in a different location. If you are planning on leaving the grill up, I wouldn’t consider mounting it where mine is at. I take my grill down when not in use. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I won’t be keeping it up, it will be stored after use.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It might fit in this location also. Might be better for rafting up.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I would go with the second location. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    The second location is definitely better if there is enough room to walk behind it to another boat rafted.  Personally though, I like where Greg has his. If you can make sure the grill is turned parallel to the beam of the boat (not rear of platform), then it may work well in second location.  I'm not real fond of those "wings" that come out with the newer Rinkers, along with the rounded platforms, but I'll let that to another discussion. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree the wings make it tuff to go from boat to boat. You can see  the ring where my grill goes on the 342. Next boat is a 310 Rinker lower and shorter platform this why I put my mount away from the door way. Next boat is 340 Searay the height difference and wing make it tricky to cross.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn , if I put it where @Cableguy Greg has his it would be right on top of my fuel full. I don’t really feel comfortable with that. I like your idea of parallel with the beam and not the curvature of the platform. This might give the needed room to pass through if rafted up or docked.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    This is why I posted this topic, before I drilled and was upset where I put it! Thanks guys, let me know if you think of anything else.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I have mine same as the first boat in the picture I have a round magna grill the only issue is grease dripping on the platform I have a grill mat that I cut a hole in to fit over the pipe then attach the grill 
  • Options
    @GMSLITHO , I had a kettle Magma on my 242 and it didn’t really have a drip tray, but never had an issue. My new Magma grill (Chef’s Mate) has a pretty big drip tray, hopefully I don’t have any issues, if I do I’ll do the same as you did with the grill mat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I agree with Chris that keep it away from the door.  Too much traffic at doorway to have the grill there.  Also, typically the swim ladder is at doorway (well, maybe only on port side), which you don't want it either.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I installed the mount today, I’m glad I put it in the second spot. Room to pass through and I won’t be standing on the mount when undoing lines and filling the fuel and water. I bought #14 1” inch screws, I have to get new ones that are maybe 2.5”-3”. I didn’t realize that the top of the platform is thick and hollow with a top and bottom lawyer. Getting the screws into the bottom lawyer will only strengthen it.  Thanks for everyone’s input!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I like it aero!!

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats great, good job.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't install longer screws down into the second layer but instead if you haven't so far used Sikaflex or one of the 3M super caulks (5200) I'd remove the screws, bed them in Sika or 5200, tighten them snug and you should be fine unless you plan on using the pole for dancing.
  • Options
    @Michael T when I drilled I went into the second layer so I might as well utilize the holes. At least it’ll be good to spin around on!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @Michael T when I drilled I went into the second layer so I might as well utilize the holes. At least it’ll be good to spin around on!
    Can't wait to see those pics...  :love:
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    @aero3113 - I am thinking about mounting the grill pedestal in the same spot that you did for my 350 EC. Any lessons learned that you care to pass along?
    2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island
  • Options
    @johnny44 just double and triple check you like the placement. Have someone hold the grill and pedestal in place and open up the transom locker. You don’t want the door to hit the grill when opened. I really like where I mounted mine.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks! Do you still recommend using #14 1" screws (I am guessing with some 4200 for the holes)?
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. Went with the same spot!
  • Options
    Awesome! ⚓️
    2008 330EC