Options

Rinker 246 Cuddy owner help please, mysteries

I just bought this used and have a few questions.  First, there is a 'mystery' switch located sort of in the cupholder area, low behind the helm seat.  Up/down, can't find that it does anything.  It may be owner added, can't tell.  Does anybody know what this is for?  (See picture)  Second, there is an 'ACC' switch on the dash which I was hoping would allow me to run the stereo without having to have the key in the ignition and in the ACC position.  (That drinking and driving thing...)  This ACC switch does nothing that I can tell - what is it supposed to do?  Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Generally the ACC switch does nothing it was just a prewired switch for an option that was never added such as swim lights or raw water washdown. It may have wires running back to those non existent accessories. I to like the idea of wiring the stereo to it or atleast wiring the ACC side of the ignition to it rather than having to turn the key. I plan on doing that whenever I can get back to my boat. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    BlueWaterBlueWater Member Posts: 16
    "at least that is what that switch is for on my 246 (2015)" - so you also have to leave your key in the ignition and turned to the ACC position to run the stereo?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BlueWater your profile doesn't show your location but like you I was also concerned about the impaired/care and control issue with the keys in the ignition to run the stereo. Across Canada and much of Europe and I think even some U.S. states an owner/operator of any motor vehicle can be charged if impaired and in possession of keys while in/on a vehicle. I had considered installing a switch instead. But I stuck with the keys for two reasons, the first being that when I leave the boat I know the stereo is off and no chance of draining batteries. No switch to forget. The second reason is that I had a conversation with one of the top Ontario Provincial Police marine patrol officers at the Toronto Boat show last year and shared my concerns. He acknowledged that while they could "technically" charge someone in this situation, to his knowledge no one ever had, and to make matters trickier, the keys don't even have to be in the ignition, they just have to be "accessible". Well, how can your keys not be accessible in a boat? Your're not going to throw them overboard. He even pointed out that the best place to keep keys on a boat was in the ignition, you don't want to be hunting for them if the need arises to get going in an emergency.
    He did mention that if they received a complaint, i.e. a large raft up with obvious signs of impairment to the point of a dangerous situation and it is possible that someone in the group might try and operate their vessel they might use the care and control charge but it would have to be an extreme circumstance. I don't think anyone wants to see that challenged in court.
    Some agencies in Canada have been trying to get the law that allows alcohol on a boat with sleeping and cooking accommodations with fixed head changed but that would also mean banning alcohol in R.V's, motor homes and travel trailers in campgrounds, and that's never going to happen.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I am in Indiana, where *usually* you are OK as long as the keys are not in the ignition and you are not hammered and can show pretty clear intent to not go anywhere for the night.  Attitude/circumstances are always a factor also but having the keys in the ignition is just asking for trouble.  I have never seen a boat wired this way but maybe it's more common than I know.
  • Options
    Far as I know all our Rinker's have the factory stereo wired through the ignition.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I would think if the anchor is in use you’re good.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    shawnmjr , do you really have 1,074 hours on a 2015???
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Yea, I would think if the anchor is in use you’re good.
    Canada guys. Our latest laws are such that if you leave a bar and go home the cops can bang on your door up to two hours later and demand a breath sample. If refused it's an automatic admission of guilt. If you blow over, even if you consumed alcohol after arriving home, guilty again. They snuck this in over a year ago to eliminate the defence that you were not impaired in the car but had a couple fast ones when you got home. Total B.S. in my opinion.
    But as you point out its not likely that if obviously anchored for the night they'd charge you. But they could....and in my books that's just not right.