Options

Boat Buying Frenzy - Savior For Rinker?

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have personally witnessed what Boating Magazine describes as a "boating frenzy" taking place in the U.S.A. They cite some pretty astonishing figures for sales increases and price increases, even mentioning that boats in less than good condition are selling as well. They cite, as a number of you on the forum have, social distancing and "getting out of the house" as likely motivators. We have just purchased a 2020 Yamaha SX 195 with the supercharged engine. That experience was interesting. I could only find two new ones in the province of Ontario. I called the dealership of the first one only to find out it had sold 30 minutes after it was listed and that two potential owners had tried to bid above the MSRP on it leaving the dealer with a dilemma. Apparently the dealer was told no way would the manufacturer allow bidding above MSRP as it could look like price gouging during a "crisis". I was told the names were put in a hat to decide and the unit was sold at full MSRP. I placed a deposit on the only other new one available, sight unseen. I traded my SVHO FX Cruiser on it. Deal done. My friend who bought his SVHO FX Cruiser at the same time I did is entertaining bids on his unit. It looks like the winning bid will come from a guy who lives 5 hours away has not even seen the unit, except for pictures (which like mine was showroom with two year factory warranty on it) and has placed a $2,000.00 NON-refundable deposit on it. Around here boats, some pretty crappy, are selling for top dollar. Dealers, and I am friends with three, are smiling for the first time in a long time. BTW my friend is purchasing a 25 foot RINKER deck boat with 350 Mag/Blll and through hull exhaust.......I wonder if this boating upsurge can save Rinker???? Apparently many factories shut down due to C19 so any shortage may take some time to address......interesting times?

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Would be nice but i dont see these sales numbers sustainable without a government blow out buy back like we had with cars....drag it in and we pay you 2k.  

Even then it's not sustainable, eventually they will drop off.  Would be nice to get rid of all these boats that should have been scrapped decades ago.

Eventually, hopefully sooner than later, we will all be back at work and making our regular pay.  Families will not be getting stimulus checks paired with 900 bucks a week in employment per person to stay at home.  More work means less time to boat. 

Right now America is taking 2020, an already difficult game, and playing it on difficult mode.  

The rest of the world has to be shaking their heads and wondering w.t.f.?????  

I feel like pontoon, bass boat, center console and wake board boat sales will continue to trend for a while. 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s a chance this might help. Rinker isn’t totally shut down yet, I was able to order parts from them last week through email. I checked my CC and it was charged. When are they supposed to be shut down totally?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure there’s a buying frenzy on cruisers. I would assume that fun boats always sell well at this time of year?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Social distancing is definitely a catalyst.  Similarly, people are spending more on their backyards than in a long, long time ... pool and hot tub inquiries apparently are 5x the norm. Pioneer pools was on TV a few weeks ago saying so.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn’t give me a damm boat. 
  • Options
    @shawnmjr.....no kidding !!!!! .....was really happy with that SVHO - then the Admiral and her best friend decided it was time for a bigger boat! I said Geez - why did we sell the EC 360 to @bry1429????? I'll probably be in a Rinker EC 400 in to time. Going to name this one Stimulus Package.....just doin' my part!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'll sell you mine MT.  It's been well taken care of!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    i've read from bikes-rv's n boats 
    and
    moneys cheap
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn......anyone who buys your boat is getting, well a Dream Inn!
  • Options
    Handy on Florida vacation 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I don’t know about saving Rinker, but it’s the same scenario with dirtbikes. The dealer I use is a top 20 KTM/Husqvarna dealer and he told me they set a all time monthly sales record last month. Other dealers report the same. 
  • Options
    @PickleRick. Good one Rick. Big Tarpon too!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.....only in Florida !🙄
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Would be bad if a shark had wanted that tarpon.
  • Options
    You northern guys know nothing about fishing. Hahahhahahhahahaha
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    How far up do tarpon migrate? I know they follow the stream up to NC although not in keys bridge numbers.  

Im sure stuergon fisherman would disagree with that statement

• Options
    The local Sea Doo (not as good as Yamahas) dealer sold 45 units last week. They have no more stock. A couple I know waited too long......Where I am, even crappy boats are selling.

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see the Rinker family buy back the brand.