Options

Battery charger appears to be not working

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
While up at boat yesterday to do some work, I figured I'd hook up power so I could charge batteries after long winter.  Ran power cord to boat and turned on charger breaker.  I noticed volts for the house bank showed 12.0 at the meter on the electrical panel.  Kinda low, but I figured not unexpected after winter.  

When I got ready to leave about 3-1/2 hours later, the panel still read 12.0 volts.  Figured it should show some gain.  Went into engine room and both house batteries were about 12.2, a typical differential I have got in the past between gauge on boat and actual check at battery. I also noticed a 3rd battery (for engines) was only 9.5 (that's not good) and the 4th battery, behind the generator was around 12.5, but wasn't even hooked up.  I also noticed there was some corrosion on several of the terminals that I've never seen before, but didn't have time to clean it up.  

I have an Inteli-Power Charger, PD-2130.  The screen flashes through "output voltage" for each of the 3 banks, and they were all around 14.3 (as expected), but when it flashed to "Current" it was "0.0".  I assume that means there was no charging going on.  Would that have anything to do with one battery not being hooked up, or one battery being near "dead"?  Or will poor connections cause this?  Or is it a sign I need to replace this original charger?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Sorry to say it, but this forum has many reports of PD-2130 chargers from the mid-2000's that are failing from old age.  Even if it's not dead now, it won't be long.  Consider replacing it as preventative maintenance, and maybe replace the isolator at the same time.  Seems to be a rash of charger fails lately from the '04-'09 boats.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The temp sensor went out on mine
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a PD-2020 and it failed on me. I think it started last year, but didn’t catch it until this spring when it was telling me that the batteries were charged and they were at 5 volts. I replaced mine with the ProMariner ProNautic 12-20P. I have seen better battery performance with this new charger. I also replaced my isolator with matching one from ProMariner. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    To keep things simple, I would plan to replace charger with identical replacement.  2130 is no longer made, replaced by 2140.  More amps sounds good, but would that require me to upgrade other components too?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Direct replacement. No major wiring changes. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    A big part of the new battery chargers are the fact that they know how to handle the new style of batteries that are out on the market today. a lead acid battery has a very different charging profile than an AGM battery. so it's important to match the charger with the batteries that you have or will have in the near future. The older Chargers only recognize one style of batteries.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Anyone else with thoughts on the pronautic 1230?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I have pronautic as well and very pleased with it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I put one in my 342 a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. The 1240 would not require any additional wiring. 
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I have a Pronautic 1240P. Somewhere on this forum (and more than once) I've discussed it being completely soaked with water from a defective freshwater pump.  After thoroughly drying out, it still works like a charm.  Two years later.  Cant say enough good things about, especially considering it's a dry mount charger.
  • Options
    Ordered the Pronautic 2130 Charger and Pronautic Isolator.  Plan to install Friday before boat launch.
    @Cableguy Greg @Dream_Inn I was looking at the installation directions online to familiarize myself.  Most of the wires on the PD-2130 appear to be a direct transfer to the Pronautic.  There's the 3 DC red outlet wires plus Black ground coming from the center of the PD2130, and 3 AC wires (2 black and 1 white) coming from the right side.  In the Pronautic directions on page 25 it shows a "case ground" on the left side.  Is that something that is on the PD-2130?

https://www.promariner.com/en/~/media/inriver/365008-38505.pdf