Options

flaking paint on lower unit

rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭

Comments

• Options
    I don't know how this ended up on the Express Cruiser Forum.  Sorry, but I could not find a way to move it to General Boating.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had good luck with rattle can paint. Prep work is key.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    What I've done is sand drive good.  Use Rust-Oleum self etching primer and then a high gloss finish color.  Still need to touch up every season.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive not used self etching primer but i soft wire brush on grinder/drill to get the paint off.  Wet sand, 320 is what I've had luck with.  Wash with dish soap, let it dry.  Wipe down with acetone.  Let dry.  Wipe down with tack cloth.  

Coat with bully dog adhesive promoter as per instructions, prime then paint.

For top side parts or parts that need protection uv you can get eastwood clear coat with hardener in a can.  

The adhesive promoter allows plastics, polymers, vinyl, pot metals etc to hold paint that otherwise normally have bonding issues. 

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    This looks like a Force or Chrysler outboard.  Back in the early 80’s the paints used were not very good. The primers and paint did not adhere.    
    Right you are sir!  It is a 1983 Chrysler outboard.  You really know your boats!  Thank you for your input.