Floor Repair Cost

joelachrjoelachr Member Posts: 3
I have a 1984 V170 that has been sitting for a couple years. When I last parked it, there was some softness in the floor in the rear around the engine cover. With family, work, and life in general, the boat hasn't been a high priority but I want to get it out this summer and hopefully back in usable condition.

I inquired a few years ago at the marina that winterized it about getting the floor repaired. I think their quote was $2,500 or $3,500 to lay new plywood over the existing floor. I hesitate to simply overlay new wood because of the added weight.

Am I correct in assuming new wood over old is a bad way to fix this?

What are ballpark estimates for getting the floor repaired correctly? 1. Assuming the stringers underneath are still good. 2. Assuming the entire floor structure needs repaired and/or replaced. Thanks!

Answers

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a soft deck you probably have other soft cores areas. Transom, stingers etc.  How much do you love the boat?
  • joelachrjoelachr Member Posts: 3
    I love it enough to fix it but not enough to spend more than it would cost to replace it with a comparable boat. Assuming transom, stringers, and floor all need repaired or replaced, is this $5k? $10k? $15k? Assuming the work is done right, is it better to spend that money on another used boat or have a boat that's restored?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not lay wood over existing bad or rotted wood
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can probably hire a handyman to do the work if you can’t. Can you post some pics??
    If 2k covered just removal and reinstall of the floor, double it for stingers and transom. Maybe a little more than double.  

You cant just lay new floor, the old needs removed and new installed.  

Great time for fuel tank is inspection and replacement.

How are the seats?

If you cant do it yourself its almost a deal breaker. If you can do it yourself you may miss the boating season unelss you can put in 40 hrs a weel on the boat.

I dont want to sound negative, ive rebuilt stingers and a transom as well as cabin floor.  It's time consuming itchy work and I'd charge 150 an hour plus materials to do it for anyone else.  Its very time consuming and masks/gloves are not always easy to come by these days. Protective gear is a must.

7 thousand bucks will get you a good used boat in my area that can be launched and used today.  

• joelachrjoelachr Member Posts: 3
    You can probably hire a handyman to do the work if you can’t. Can you post some pics??
    Finding a handyman qualified to make structural repairs sounds like a headache. Would there be enough cost savings in that? As for pictures, there's not a lot visible but I can pull back some carpet when I get into it next. Did you have specific pictures in mind?
    If 2k covered just removal and reinstall of the floor, double it for stingers and transom. Maybe a little more than double.  

You cant just lay new floor, the old needs removed and new installed.  

Great time for fuel tank is inspection and replacement.

How are the seats?

If you cant do it yourself its almost a deal breaker. If you can do it yourself you may miss the boating season unelss you can put in 40 hrs a weel on the boat.

I dont want to sound negative, ive rebuilt stingers and a transom as well as cabin floor.  It's time consuming itchy work and I'd charge 150 an hour plus materials to do it for anyone else.  Its very time consuming and masks/gloves are not always easy to come by these days. Protective gear is a must.

7 thousand bucks will get you a good used boat in my area that can be launched and used today.  

I'd replace the seats if I had all the other work put into it but that's something I could do myself. I'm not too worried about missing this season if I end up with a rebuilt boat that'll last another decade or more. Thanks for the answers, I'm not taking it as negative. I appreciate the honesty.
    If you rebuild it and use epoxy resin, taking the time to properly seal everything it will outlast you.  I dont use marine ply, i use cdx.  I don't skimp on the resin or fiberglass.

• meandmeand Member Posts: 1
    has any one got carpet up on cabin floor
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a pair pliers is best to get the carpet up
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I ripped up carpet in my 235. Taking out was easy.  Prepping to lay it back down was the the hard part.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @reneechris14 you need to change your sig!

What did you lay down, looks sharp.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matches the cabinets 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct