Options

Battery switch on for refrigerators to work?

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
Hi,

Even though I've had the boat for a while, I didn't realize that I had to keep the battery switch on for the refrigerators to continue cooling while the boat is plugged in to electrical power. I thought that I could turn off the battery switch and the electrical power would continue to operate the refrigerators.

Is this working as intended?

Thanks,

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Best Answer

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes. Also, be sure to turn your temp control switch from time to time. They tend to get stuck after awhile and it's nice to be able to turn it off with the control to defrost it while leaving everything else on. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Answers

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Why @Willhound? Mine has 12V and 110V feeds so I see no reason that you need 12V if on shore power. Unless you only have a 12V unit that needs that and is kept charged by the shore power.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 330 doesn’t have a 12v breaker for the fridge, just a fuse. Wouldn’t the fridge default to 110v if it’s connected?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    @YYZRC , you have 110v breakers for the refrigerators correct?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Sorry guys, I should have elaborated but us smaller guys in the 270 to 290 range with smaller fridges, some were convertible 110/12 volt but a lot of them like mine are 12 volt only. So battery switch has to be left on. Only way to tell is to pull the fridge and check the back. I went through this when I first got mine. Kept getting to the boat to find my beer warm until I discovered 12 volt only.
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Sorry guys, I should have elaborated but us smaller guys in the 270 to 290 range with smaller fridges, some were convertible 110/12 volt but a lot of them like mine are 12 volt only. So battery switch has to be left on. Only way to tell is to pull the fridge and check the back. I went through this when I first got mine. Kept getting to the boat to find my beer warm until I discovered 12 volt only.
    This is in keeping with what the repair guy told me. I called him thinking they were broken. He came onboard and flipped the battery switch on and handed me a $250 invoice...
  • Options
    Ouch! Wow. Well, the advice here is free. Not always correct, but a good starting point. Anything else pops up be sure to consult with the gang here first. Odds are that somebody has had the same issue at some point. 
  • Options
    Thanks and will do. Lesson learned and at least I didn't bust out another thousand (boat) as is usually the case.