Options

Replacing electric trumpet horn

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
So my electric trumpet horn isn't working. I disassembled the back piece to see if I can clean it but no luck.

I believe West Marine sells the identical one. My questions are:

1. The wire from the horn runs down through the hull into what seems to be the cabinet where the TV is in my cabin. I'm hoping I can open the cabinet and see the cable hanging there just waiting for me to splice it with the new one. Unlikely, but I'm hoping. Anyone done this before and can point me in the right direction?

2. The hole where the wire goes through the hull seems to be sealed with a black caulking that is obviously there to make it water-tight. I'm going to have to remove that when I replace the horn. Anyone have any idea what this is so I can replace it?

Thanks!

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Answers

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a post on this before I read. I think you have to access the ceiling in the bathroom to get at those wires. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be above the tv cabinet where the lights are at. The lights are spring loaded and they pull down for access. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    It should be above the tv cabinet where the lights are at. The lights are spring loaded and they pull down for access. 
    Well that is great news if that's true! I think the post I read was for a 270 possibly. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    The caulking ... have you ever used butyl tape?  That stuff is like magic.  Sticks to anything, doesn't shrink, stays pliable forever.  

Example:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-BT-1834-1-Butyl-Seal-Tape/dp/B001FCB4JS

Dicor BT-1834-1 18quot x 34quot x 30 Butyl Seal Tape
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butyl tape is indeed awesome for deck fittings 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Switch to air horns. 😁

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with BD. I tried replacing mine. Still sounded horrible. Put in short double trumpet air horns over the winter and they are awesome. I often have to navigate through boats waiting for the ramp or fuel dock to get to my slip. They are more concerned about losing thier place in line than anything else. Well now i have a very direct way of getting thier attention so i can get through. My new favorite toy.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Any suggestions for which air horn? All the wiring would be inside then the air hose would go into the horn?

Found this for comparison of horns. Nice to hear how they all sound. 

https://youtu.be/El1n-iZQ1xU
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought these. https://www.marinco.com/en/10108. I mounted the air compressor which is the size of a beer can near the dash.  I have a subwoofer there so it was easy to remove to have a nice large hole to work in.  Then ran the air hose up the radar arch to the horns.  It is just two wires and easy to hook up but i couldn't use the existing wiring for the horns.  No matter what i tried it didn't supply enough power to the air compressor.  It was simple enough though to find another source.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Yeah I saw the air horns take 20A or somewhere about that according to the video. The electric horn is less than 4A. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited June 2020
    If you go with an air horn, the trumpet has to point down.  Any spray or rain that enters the horn will trickle down into the air pump, and then no workee.  

Also, don't use cheap hose.  Under pressure, the hose expands so much that it makes a delay before the horn blows.  Instead of bapp-bapp it sounds like phhhewwww-phhewwww.  

I gave up on air horns a long time ago.  Couldn't make them last more than a year or two.  
  • Options
    Maybe it's just easier to keep one of those stadium blow horn thingies you always see at soccer games 😁
    1997 Bayliner 3988