Options

Will replacing marine sanitation hose help stop oders?

This winter I replaced the Jabsco head pump with new one. Replaced joker valve. The holding tank has been cleaned out and treated with some kind of green treatment I bought.  Not sure the brand unless I go look. The toilet has not even been used this year. The boat still has that ole funky toilet oder. Is that just the way it is on these boats? It almost as if you resist using toilet because of after effect of oder. Is part of the oder coming through the drain hose? I'm thinking of replacing it. It seems I like working on this boat better than using it. The hose on it now is white and probably factory installed. It may be of poor quality. I'm beginning to wonder if I would be better off with a portable toilet that can be emptied out.  I've read oders permeate through these older hoses. Has anyone replaced their hose and found an improvement?

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    How old is the boat, tank, lines?  The short answer is yes.  The lines can get to the point where the only thing you can do is replace them however you also need to be aware of possible cracks in the tank, loose fittings where the lines connect to the tank or just the fact that the vent is the culprit.  A lot of of us have put in charcoal filters (Big Orange or home made) to help out.  There are tons of articles here on this topic.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That white hose is marine sanitation hose and sounds right. But as mentioned by David above they can become permeated after many years and let put odour. But check all the clamps first and any leaks.
    I changed my tank last year because it had cracked and was leaking underneath. Not enough to easily see but enough to stink. Hoses are next.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    If it's just after you flush, you may want to either make or buy a vent filter.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    This boat is a 97 model. Pretty sure there are no leaks. The bottom of boat is always dry. Not sure where a vent filter would go. This boat has type 3 holding system. No Y valve and has to be pumped out at a marina. The oder probably wouldnt bother lot of people .Especially smokers who caint smell but for me I have weak stomach and good smeller.smaller. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Sounds like you need to put a filter on the vent.  The vent will come off the waste tank, 5/8" hose, and go to the side of the boat (I believe above rub rail - maybe just below, but up high).  The filter would go in the middle of that hose.  It filters the air that gets pushed out of your waste tank each time you flush.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    might just be dampness int he boat? I usually have damp rid in the cabin....once it's done the boat gets a real funky smell to it for sure.....
  • Options
    Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    I seen online where people are making their own vent filter out of PVC and activated charcoal.  I may try to do that when I get time.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I did - works wonders. If you get the smell when it flushes that will be it.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
     Big Orange is a good option.  I refill mine with charcoal from the pet store.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    To test if hoses are bad, take a damp wash cloth and wipe outside of hose then smell wash cloth.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Big Orange here too. Works perfect.

https://bigorangefilter.com/

Should be a vent pipe in there somewhere Stever. Keep lookin.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current