Options

Ouch, damaged gelcoat backing into slip. Gelcoat match?

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
I have not had a very good early season backing into my slip this year. The wind has been tough and I’ve been struggling a lot more than past years. Now I think I have the yips and it’s in my head! Well, yesterday I did it, damaged the gelcoat with a big deep scratch. Thank god it’s above the waterline, but it’s pretty bad. I requested the marina take a look and recommend action. Not sure what you guys think about me trying to repair or at least get it sealed from moisture until it comes out in the fall, any thoughts?  Similar experiences? 
Post edited by luvinlife on

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry this happened. You can easily do it yourself, or have a professional do it once the boat is out of the water. I would find what is sticking out in your marina that did the damage and have that fixed ASAP.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aero thanks. It was a sharp stainless prop on another boat I hit. No damage to his boat thank god. I wonder if anybody has the correct Rinker color for 2006 270.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree it’s an easy diy. You need to call Rinker ASAP with your HIN to get the right spectrum color code. One spectrum patch kit will be enough to fix that, $40 kit on iboats 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Easily fixable. Def need the boat out of the water.

Do as Liberty says above.....
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Thank you guys. I can reach the damaged area from the dock but it’s probably best to pull it and do it right.  Hate losing the water time and paying to haul it. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    luvinlife said:
    Thank you guys. I can reach the damaged area from the dock but it’s probably best to pull it and do it right.  Hate losing the water time and paying to haul it. 
    If you're not familiar with gel coat repairs - there are tons of youtube vids available.

Really straight forward. Take some before/after pics. That way we can judge your abilities......lol
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    You could also do it in the water using a float of some sort.  I have a nice fiberglass one that you can stand on (not saying to buy one).  As others said, can be done easily and you could do it from dinghy or something like that especially when tied up in the marina.  Sorry it happened, but you won't even know when it's done (at least no one else will).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks. I emailed Rinker for the gelcoat match.  I’m afraid to use the boat until this thing gets fixed. I can probably reach it if I’m sitting on the dock. Waiting to hear back from the marina on their opinion.  Don’t want to get water intrusion.  But I hate to lose boating day as the season is so short here in the Northeast. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    If it takes a week or two to get what you need to fix it, you could easily put a piece of duct tape over it to seal it.  Then just clean any adhesive left from it before fixing.  I've seen much much worse and the boat is still used until fixed.  Not saying to put it off, but I'm saying you should still enjoy the boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch.. sorry that happened. 

Don't know of its been said, but keep in mind gelcoat shrinks significantly as it dries... make sure and get the overlap recommended by the maker.  
  • Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    yeah, get the spectrum match from iboats... mine was called Sand White for an 01 FV. They charge like $15 for shipping though since they called it a hazardous material.

It matched pretty good, not perfect tho. be generous when applying. I had to do 2 coats and will probably do another this fall when its out of the water... My scratch is 95% better than what it was. Its just a little hard to do at the dock.

Buy a wet sand variety pack from Advance Auto for like $5 and a sanding block..
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    Got a guesstimate quote from my Marina for professional repair, $700, ouch. The fiberglass guy is supposed to be amazing. Won't be able to tell it was damaged when it's done. Problem is he's hard to tie down he's so busy, but they will try to get him. They said  he can fix it from the dock so I don't need to pay to haul it out.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    If he's as good as they say he is, and you can afford it, I'd go with the pro. I think you'd be happier in the long run.

I've done a minor patch myself using the iBoats gelcoat repair kit and also had our yard glass guy do more major work on a previous scratch similar to yours.

He matched it perfectly and even up close you could never tell.

Mine attempt passes the "10 foot rule" - but if you get closer, you can tell something was amiss.

Just my .02
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    If money’s no issue have the pro do it and be done.  But, boy, that’s a lot of $ for one of those boat things that is very diy.  If it was me, and too awkward to do in the water, I would at least do the 1st coat of gel coat now, that would seal it, and make it not so noticeable, then finish it up in the off season when you can do a better blending and sanding job.
  • Options
    So I put some white gorilla tape over it for now. It actually doesn’t look bad. Have not heard back from the fiberglass guy yet, but the marina GM said $700.  Now I’m on the fence. I may just leave it and fix it in the fall when it’s dry docked and I can really take my time. 
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    You can also call Spectrum to get some patch paste to fix the scratch.  I believe they supply Rinker with their gelcoat and they keep the color codes on their system.  Iboats also sells it online.  It is very easy to use.  Almost like using filler on a wall before painting.  When I did mine I used masking tape to outline the scratch and it makes sanding only the patch paste easier.  No need to sand the good gelcoat. 
    This may be the product you need: https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstores.com/RINKER-WHITE-WHITE-06-09_p_660.html 

• Options
    Thanks rkinross, I’m leaning that way.  Already contacted Spectrum 
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I used the Spectrum for our 2006 Crownline this spring and it matched perfectly