Options

Battery wiring for new charger and isolator

BrianN15BrianN15 Member Posts: 25

I am looking to replace the original battery charger and isolator on my 2003 rinker fiesta vee 342.  I am going with the pronautic 1240p battery charger and the Promariner 02-70-03 battery isolator (2 in / 3 out 70 amp battery isolator to replace the original guest 2403) I also want to re-evaluate the boats wiring while making the changes.  After doing a decent amount of research this is what I have planned out in my head.  I was hoping somebody with a little more knowledge and experience could review and make any necessary comments or suggestions.  I currently have 1 starting marine battery and 4 deep cycle interstate srm 29 batteries.  Should I go to the 2 starters and 3 house (in parallel) as I have shown in the proposed wiring diagram? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    @BrianN15 .....no need to post the same question on 3 different threads. The guys on this forum are really good at answering questions. See my response on the "Three Bank Charger" thread
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Your batteries probably also have a bunch of other smaller wires attached by various owners over the years.  Consider installing a small fuse panel with a single cable to the battery.  

Here's an example.   
    ST Blade 6-Position Fuse Block
  • Options
    I went down to the boat tonight to look at the current wiring and it is all fubbard up.  Couple of new guys in the marina this year I think.  Boat engine ignition wires go to separate deep cycles,  can’t tell what connected to the actual starter battery.  Nothing is hooked up in parallel and I have 4 different black wires coming off on bolt on backside of starboard engine, all going to separate batteries.  I feel like I have to start over and physically go through every red and black wire labeling them all. What is the easiest wAy to do something like this (figuring out what in fact each wire actually is)?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no easy way at all 
  • Options
    Just trial & error, and following wires as best as possible huh?  What is the deal with the 4 black wires attached to the same bolt on the backside of the starboard engine Going to separate batteries and then can’t seem to even locate 1 black wire on back side of port engine?  We they using that in lieu of the ground bar?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s the default ground location
  • Options
    So if I put the 3 house batteries in parallel I would essentially only have to have 1 black ground wire from the last parallel grouping on there instead......correct.
  • Options
    I am going to leave the 3 original cables that run from the alternator to the stern panel through a 70 amp fuse and then down to the associated batteries.  I will then eliminate the tiny 10 gauge wires from the original battery charger to the isolator, placing with brand new 4 AWG cables going from new battery charger directly to the batteries as Promariner directs in their installation manual.  Those 3 new 4 awg battery cable will each have an inline 50 amp fuse (battery charger is a 40 amp).  I think that will complete the new more efficient wiring ( than the way the marina currently hooked them up this year, which was different than any other year, hence the voltage drop issues)
  • Options
    pmillerpmiller Member Posts: 1
    Hi All. Can anyone tell me where I can find the fuse panel on a 2008 223 capitva bow rider. Thanks