Ameritex (Lack Of) Customer Service

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have held back for almost a month in posting this, but here we go.

When I bought my boat (sight unseen), I knew from the pics and from the survey that the canvas was shot.  When the boat arrived at the end of October, I found that the old canvas was literally trashed; I was barely able to get it up before the boat went into storage.  Some of the canvas had been repaired over the years, but it didn't matter as I was planning on replacing everything except the camper bows.

Rather than futz around with a local canvas shop - all of which are very busy and take months to get things done - I decided to order complete canvas from Ameritex (Taylor Made).  Almost $4000 later, I had a huge box of canvas just waiting for COVID to abate.

Fast forward to mid-May when the marina reopened and my boat splashed.  The first thing I did was started installing my new canvas.  I did this on my old boat as well (ordered the canvas from Four Winns) so while I'm not a pro, I have a bit of a sense of what's up.  The camper fit great (albeit missing one of the bungees; Ameritex sent a replacement).  The forward connector "sails", not so much.  Despite the fact that there should be virtually no variation between 330s with arch since the geometry of the arch and windshield should be consistent, my side sails are almost 1.5" too short.

I have been back and forth with Darren (PM Winter Boat Covers) who has been working with Ameritex, but this is going nowhere.  They've requested multiple pics, descriptions of the issue, etc. which I've provided promptly as for the past month I've had a boat that I can't close up properly nor can I operate on plane without removing the entire forward connector. Darren has offered to pay for the replacement parts, but finding a shop that can make them within a month seems next to impossible.

So, buyer beware.  If you expect any sort of support from Ameritex after ordering, good luck.  I spent almost $600 on the sail pieces alone and I am going to spend that much again having a shop custom make replacements.

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a big difference, you're doing this when it's warm outside right? 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Florida warm but 80+
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the old canvas have the part number tags by any chance?
    The camper did as it was original. The forward connector didn’t as it was modified by the PO 
    YYZRC said:
    The camper did as it was original. The forward connector didn’t as it was modified by the PO 
    And you gave them the part numbers correct? When I got mine I had to wrestle with it for hours to zip all up and have the admiral help by hanging on the frames. After about 2 weeks it had stretched out enough. I thought the zippers would rip out of their stiches!
    edited June 2020
    I am not as strong as Aero but I did my best. Stretching 1.5” is just not happening. 

I’m not upset they don’t fit. Poop happens. The complete lack of customer service is what kills me. 
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Is it possible there’s a problem because the PO modified that area?  My P.O. also modified that same area.  My triangle piece only has zippers on the 2 sides, bottom snaps directly to window frame.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Ameritex is/was shut down because of the pandemic. They may be waaaay behind. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Spyderweb said:
    Is it possible there’s a problem because the PO modified that area?  My P.O. also modified that same area.  My triangle piece only has zippers on the 2 sides, bottom snaps directly to window frame.
    The PO didn’t modify the arch or windshield frame. Those are the only touch points. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain, but ... not cutting them any slack during a pandemic?
    LaRea said:
    I feel your pain, but ... not cutting them any slack during a pandemic?
    I thought a month of “slack” was sufficient. 
  • TonyATonyA Member Posts: 92
    I ordered mine April 15th and it was delivered 10 days later. it was very tight took a lot of pulling by two people was short about an inch but after a month I was able to stretch it the rest of the way. Good luck.
    2008 Rinker 400EC Longport NJ
    They should be able to tell you exactly how the original was mounted so you can determine if anything is missing
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know how long Ameritex takes to respond to a request for a quote? I filled out their form on the website two weeks ago, and crickets.
    Reach out to Darren darren@pmwinterboatcovers.com
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought from Ameritex back in March.  It was a speedy transaction.  I called them after submitting the form.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have really wrestled with mine also but had a local guy do it- fit great when he put it on but don't use it often....everytime I go to use it I'm off about the same...have to undo bows to get enough slack to snap it...and then let it sit and eventually get the bows to go back into position....you'd think they would make them a little lose but if they did I guess they would stretch out and flap around and we would not be happy with that!
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    Anyone know how long Ameritex takes to respond to a request for a quote? I filled out their form on the website two weeks ago, and crickets.
    Good luck. I’ve been calling and emailing for a month with no response at all. 
  • TonyATonyA Member Posts: 92
    Here is the contact info I used. Hailey responded back quickly to me.

Haley Falin – Customer Service

Taylor Made Plant 113 A Lippert Components Company

1900 47th Terrace East, Bradenton, FL 34203

Phone (941) 747-1900

Fax (941) 749-5000

Email: afsinfo@taylormadesystems.com

2008 Rinker 400EC Longport NJ
    OMG Taylor is owned by Lippert. Wow
    On June 18th I sent Ameritex a request for a quote on some new canvas, it's now July 30 and got a response today:

"We appreciate your inquiry, but due to over whelming order volume, backlog and the supply chain logistics, we are temporarily suspending our direct sales at this time. Please check back in the next few weeks. Again, thank you for your interest in Ameritex replacement canvas."

Since the Admiral has a heavy duty sewing machine that can handle leather we're going to order some test supplies from SailRite. She looked at how the windows are sewn in and thinks she can handle it, so we'll try some DIY Strataglass replacement and see how it goes. If it works, money saved. If it doesn't, lesson learned.
    Did you try contacting Darren?
    edited July 2020
    Not yet. I'm the "doesn't ask for directions" until we're really lost kinda driver :-)

My wife is pretty confident she can sew it with her machine. She's been sewing since 4H in elementary school -- so I'm confident in her abilities to measure, etc., it's more so if her machine will hold up to the density of the canvas and glass. 

We'll spend less than $50 for the test materials, so it's worth a shot.
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Just got a quote back from Darren and Ameritex is open and taking orders for anyone who cares. I'm getting the replacement "window canvas". Waiting to hear back on lead times. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    @Aqua_Aura - How long did you wait for your quote?
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Darren had to wait for Ameritex to open and there was a few ahead of me. I think he can get the quote within 1-2 days. I had emailed him initially when they were closed. 

Lead time now for the product is about 4 weeks 

I would highly suggest to go through Darren as the pricing seemed much better and that way you have a direct contact rather than some random person at Ameritex. 
    Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve ordered from Darren for the 342 and his prices were the best and it came quick. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)