Options

Autopilot

I have a new Rinker 290 EX (Merc 8.2 and Bravo Three) and want to install an autopilot, but am getting mixed advice on what type to install. I have a Simrad GO9 mfd installed from the factory and want a Simrad autopilot to coordinate with it. One place said the Rinker 290 has mechanical cable steering that is power assisted and recommended the Simrad Outboard Pilot Cable Steer Pack, while a different dealer recommended the Simrad AP44 VRF Medium Pack which is recommended for hydraulic steered sterndrive boats up to 35 ft.
Can anyone shed advice on what autopilot is recommended for the 290 EX?? Is the steering cable or hydraulic?? Has anyone installed an autopilot on the 290 EX?

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Do you have a power steering pump on your engine?  If so you have power assisted steering.  Most inboard outboards ive seen have this.  The cable runs from helm to the cylinder assembly on the top of your inner transom plate. Your power steering pump acts just like a car and makes the turning effortless.  

I've seen full hydraulic mostly on full inboards. Your steering wheel is mounted to a pump, complete with plug to add fluid.  You will have 2 tubes, flex running into solid most likely or maybe complete flex, running from the helm to a cylinder on top of your inner transom plate.

No need for power steering on any full hydraulic set up I've seen, when valved correctly you can turn evenly side to side equal turns to either side with one finger. 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    See my reply to your other post ...