Options

Fatality in Marina

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Non-Boating Related
Sadly we found out tonight that there was a drowning in our marina last night about 60 feet from our slip, one finger dock over at a  90 degree angle from us. Apparently a 23 year old man slipped between boat and slip and although he initially was able  to get out alright he apparently went back in to rinse off and never came back up. Hypothermia may have played a part as the water temp is about 67 F. But alcohol and/or other impairment was reported to have been a cause.  I won't pass judgement but can say that we have witnessed the non-stop party that appears every time these people showed up and the antics as they tried to dock the boat when it did actually leave the slip. Mostly they just sat on the dock and and partied. New to the marina. And boating I think, but can't say for sure. The poor young lady that acts as the on-site presence for the owner was up most of the night as a result. What a waste.
Edit: there is now a news report.
https://barrie360.com/police-investigating-drowning-death-in-gilford/
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    "... large quantities of alcohol and narcotics ..."  Wow.  Well, any time somebody drowns in a marina, you also have to look at the possibility of electric shock drowning.  
  • Options
    That is very possible @LaRea. The wiring here is pretty old and shoddy. No shut offs at the dock but the breakers are at least GFI. I know because I've got access to the panel that is in a little bulding right next to my slip. Police are here speaking with the staff.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's too bad... always have to watch out for #1
  • Options
    Apparently his girlfriend and buddy were right there but couldn't see him in the dark. No flashlight....
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happened at a marina in Ottawa a couple of years ago - same story young man with a history at the marina of lots of alcohol and narcotics. That usually doesn't mix with water. Much soul searching by marina staff and owners who considered a no alcohol policy. Sanity prevailed - conclusion you can't stop stupid.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    A no alcohol policy doesn’t fix the “no brains” problem unfortunately. Sad but self inflicted.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Agree. The new Marina owner (second season) is a Coptic Christian from Egypt. His brother is actually a Bishop in the church. He's a nice enough fellow and doesn't push the religion but he had made a few comments early on about the drinking and partying in the marina and they even put out a "Code of Conduct" last year that said you could be banned for excessive alcohol use. A few of the long time members had a chat with him about the marina culture and how a cocktail back at the dock is sort of part of the deal, and we kind of self police, and he was ok with it. Will be interesting to see if this incident has any effect. I don't drink and boat but after anchored or tied up for the night all bets are off.
  • Options
    @Willhound you seem like a guy who is willing to wait for the facts to come out.  
  • Options
    Yeah. I've seen a few things in my life. Started work in in my Dad's local blue collar pub at 17 as a bartender and bouncer after he had a heart attack. Stayed for almost 8 years. Anyway, an unfortunate circumstance for sure. Whether or not it was the electrical supply that contributed it was more the alcohol and drugs. Been very hot here for several days. Story is that he got hammered and decided to go for a swim to cool off. But I guess the investigation will tell. Still feel bad for the family. It sounds like a Stephen King novel but the actual name of the boat is Family Tyme.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always good to have some marina rules up so they have some leverage in disciplining the idiots. We have a couple but it basically doesn't apply to any of us because we are respectful. One of the rules is no fishing however the marina owner sent me a video of one of the renters reeling in a sturgeon from the docks 😆. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    The last few times we have been at our marina there have been 3 or 4 kids fishing off the docks. Maybe early 20's. Don't think they belong there but not sure. The other night we were watching a movie in the cabin and saw them right next to our boat fishing off the finger slip. I just worry about fishing line around my outdrive but not sure if that is an issue or not. The other night we were walking back and they had left a backpack and fishing pole laying right in the middle of the dock. It was dark and I almost tripped over the pole. They were all the way out on the other dock. I thought maybe it belonged to the guy that owned that boat but saw him at the pavilion and he said it wasn't theirs. Told him to be careful of the pole and he said he would kick it in the water..lol
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Alcohol, narcotics ,lack of grey matter and boating will never mix. 
  • Options
    @boatman37 fishing line wrapped around a drive seal is a definite issue. It can cut the seal resulting in having to pull the boat to replace the seal at best, or a ruined drive at worst. We've also had issues with people fishing off the docks. I've chased a few of them off my finger dock and I'm not always nice about it.
    I've complained in other posts about how the new marina owner has ramped things up with boat rentals, a food truck and generally promoting it as a destination for city dwellers. As a result there is a huge influx of visitor's, most of whom have nothing to do with boating or respecting our space. But this takes the cake...My wife went over to use the bathroom at the main office last night and there was a family that had been out on one of the rental boats and while the car was being loaded the kids were jumping off the pier and swimming in the main entry channel of the marina! She mentioned to the mother that it wasn't a safe practice and how stray current can be an issue, not to mention being run over, all while marina staff were coming and going. The mother just pretended to not understand English...which is a distinct possibility.
    Things are coming to a head and several members have already left. A few of us were talking last night and it looks like there's going to be a letter drawn up with our concerns for security and privacy....we'll see how it's received.
  • Options
    No marina should ever allow swimming near a pier that has electricity. Does the owner not understand that?
  • Options
    Nope. This guy has zero boating or marina experience. He bought the marina for his extended family to have something to do. And we suspect the long term vision is to develop the surrounding land.
    More of us would leave but the main issue is that slips are at a premium where we are. Most marinas have lengthy waiting lists or are several thousand $$ a year more albeit with better amenities. At some point we may have to make a decision. I did hear from another slip neighbour that there is supposed to be some kind of resolution presented for the first of July as far as separating the public and slip areas. 
    And with the fatality there may be changes forced depending on the Coroner's report.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loaded with alcohol AND drugs, the sympathy factor drops. 

Swimming in a marina is just dumb. See it too ofter though. ESD is not as well advertised as it should be though. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI