Options

Educate me on how the hot water works

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
Sorry about the newbie question. 

I drained the water tank today to replace the water. The hot water heater was working. When I emptied the tank and replaced it with water, the hot water wasn’t coming out hot.

Is there a hot water tank in the 290ec or is it one of those immediate hot water units?

Thanks,

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Answers

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a 6 gallon tank. It works on 120vac or heats with engine water. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you drained all the water while the tank was turned on you likely either burned the element or if you're lucky the high temperature limit switch kicked off. Either way you have to pull the cover off the front of the tank and wiyh the power off test across the two element terminals for continuity and check the little reset button. If you reset and there's no continuity reading then it's the element.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I emptied the tank while the cold water was draining, not the hot. I’m hoping that means that the hot water tank was not on and that my issue was that the 6 gallon tank needed to heat up again. It’s connected to shore power so I will check it out later.

If I did screw up and burned the element, I’m assuming the tank is somewhere in the engine compartment? 

Thanks
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Yes, in the engine compartment. Draining the fresh water tank might also drain the hot water tank and when you refill and start things back up you need to open up the blow off valve on the hot water tank to let air out otherwise the tank won't fill properly and you won't have hot water. Looks like this pic. You'll only see the end with the lever and outlet on the outside of the tank. 
    Edit: to open it you just flip the lever. Once water starts coming out the outlet just flip it back.

• Options
    Great thanks!
  • Options
    Well vented the valve as instructed and water was coming out. No hot water still.

i guess I blew the heating element... East to replace or should I call a marine service?
  • Options
    Check the little reset button first. It's just a little nub that might be red or black depending  on make of heater. You may have to remove the little cover where the power cord goes in. Turn the water heater breaker off first of course. It's a 5 minute job but a tech will charge you $100.
    Even if the element is burnt it's again not a big job depending on your mechanical skill. 
  • Options
    Got it. Thank you Willhound! Now to go find where the breaker is LOL! 

Mechanical skills are very low but I’m working on it.
  • Options
    Breaker should be on your main panel. This pic from a manual might help. It's the button marked ECO. (Emergency Cut Off)

• Options
    Thanks. Mine is the smaller 110 diagram. The button is supposedly between two connections. See picture. However, I push down in this beige tab/button but it won’t go down.

• Options
    Wait. Hot water working. It seems pushing that beige tab did the trick. Can’t thank you enough Willhound! 
  • Options
    Awesome! Yes, there's really not much of a "click" or anything when you push it.
    Congratulations, you just saved yourself a service call. More beer bucks for Key West!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A.d if your going to own a boat your mechanical skills will expand d quickly or you will go broke...no matter how much money you might have!
  • Options
    So true!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tstat and eco thing is 30 bucks on amazon and the heating element is 100 bucks at west marine these are the only working parts on the water heater. Think I sent that page to @Willhound 3 years ago and it has help many people. Remember when playing with power unplug or turn off the switch. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Yes you did @reneechris14. I couldn't find it in the forum search so I ended up downloading it again. That little button may not seem like much but without it, no hot water.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Yes, in the engine compartment. Draining the fresh water tank might also drain the hot water tank and when you refill and start things back up you need to open up the blow off valve on the hot water tank to let air out otherwise the tank won't fill properly and you won't have hot water. Looks like this pic. You'll only see the end with the lever and outlet on the outside of the tank. 
    Edit: to open it you just flip the lever. Once water starts coming out the outlet just flip it back.

^^^This ... you have to let out the air. The hot water tank will be full of air, and when a little cold water get's in, it pressurizes, and then stops cold water fill ... the air is in a pocket in the heater, so you need to vent it out to fill completely with cold water ... otherwise element is not submerged, and SHOULDN't come on.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"