Options

High water alarm going off when trying to plane

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
Hi,

So as my boat's bow goes up in the process of planing, the high water alarm is sounding. When I achieve plane, it turns off. Obviously, the bilge has enough water in it that it accumulates where the float switch is and causes the alarm.

In a 2013 290ec, does anyone know where the float switch is for this alarm? I don't know if I'm dealing with the forward bilge under the mattress in the aft cabin or the bilge in the engine compartment.

Thanks,

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Answers

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 330 it’s mounted on a little shelf in between the engines near the transom. That seems like a lot of water in your bilge if it’s able to set off the alarm. You should run the bilge pump before and during plaining.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    High water alarm is connected to the engine room only I believe.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    You can see where mine is in this picture, behind the hatch strut.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks. I will be looking to see. Either way, the bilge is getting a wet/dry vac treatment to pull all water out.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    So the aft bilge was not too bad with the water level. However, the mid bilge area under the mid cabin berth had about two inches of water. I decided to pull that out with the wet vac.

Interestingly, when I removed the 2 inches of water, I noticed that there seems to be a gap between the floor and the wall right behind the steps that is an opening to a forward bilge area (I assume). Water would rush out of this gap filling the bilge back up to the 2 inch mark. I figured this must be coming from water accumulated in the bow of the boat.

I am assuming that when the boat tilted back to get on plane, all of this water must be rushing back into the aft bilge and filling it past the alarm level. I don't think there's a high water alarm in the mid bilge area.

I continued to remove water until nothing came out of the gap. Will see if this corrects the alarm next time I'm on the water.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be like me and happily go on your way thinking problem solved. After many sleepless nights about my boat, when there is water ANYWHERE it isn't supposed to be that means there's a problem... somewhere... 

Was just up in Miami yesterday... maybe I'll open a Rinker Leaky boat business.. there can't be many more sources of a leak that my 270 hasn't shown. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my jeff...you better be knocking on wood...but do agree water is a problem...
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. That's the point. I don't know if what is supposed to be there or now.

We've had heavy rains and my boat gets cleaned twice a month with plenty of hose water. I'm sure there are plenty of things that could have put water in the bilges. 

Now, I wasn't aware of the area forward on the boat that seems to be feeding the mid bilge. That was new to me.