Options

Going to start the process of switching from analog to digital....slowly

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
So i have likely designed and redesigned the dash and instrumentation on my 342 a dozen times.  If i could ever get the money together it would be a clean dash with just two 9 in  touchscreen Garmin MFD's. However the cost is what keeps me from doing it.  Current estimates for the whole thing is ~$9-10k.  So i am thinking about doing it in small pieces.  May take me 10 yrs but i will get there, die or sell the boat.  So what do i do first?  My thought was that this year i could replace the depth transponder with the Airmar DT800.  It is a smart sensor and would connect via NMEA 2000.  So i would need to create a NMEA network as well.  That isn't too expensive.  A few questions for those that have gone this route.  Where would you create the NMEA "Hub" for everything to tap in?  Just put a piece of starboard in the engine room?  then lay it out on that?  Where do you apply power to the network?  At the dash via a switched power supply or does it need to be closer to the sensors in the engine room? Finally, anyone have any reviews on the Airmar DT800?  Work well at speed? Any things to look out for?
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    If I was starting over ...

The wiring at my helm was an unholy mess of tangled cables, unused plugs and bad wiring.  I would have started by getting that area sorted out.  I would have put in a piece of Starboard screwed to the fiberglass, so I could use it for mounting components and securing wires.  Then I would have traced and labeled as many cables as possible.  

No matter what you eventually do, that step will make it easier.  I eventually did it, but wished I had done it sooner.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great advice above. I am also dealing with that now and it sucks. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plan to go SmartCraft, I recommend having your marina reprogram your port motor "cityID" to "Port" before you do anything SmartCraft related.  What a pain that was for me (and a couple others on this board).  I was given the run-around about how my CAN cables were wrong (they weren't), how I needed additional J-Boxes (irrelevant to programming the ECU), etc.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea i know what you mean. I actually had to wire in a whole new harness a few years ago. I think my ultimate goal was to just abondon most of that wiring....at least all of the wires for the guages.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    David you might want to check with Rinker to see if they can send you a wiring diagram for your boat. I did this several years ago for my 320 and use it all the time. Not sure if they can still do that with the status of their situation 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm.  I bet I have the 342 wiring diagram somewhere. 

My SMARTcraft needed the NEMA-2000. You can convert the canbus to NEMA.  It becomes the hub so did not have to add a separate hub. 

If you are thinking SmartCraft display eventually. Check which depth sounders are compatible, not all are.  

I am stlll playing with my new all digital SmartCraft screen: love it!!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod