Options

SeaCore Bravo III to non-sea core transom assembly

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any reason why this wouldn't work or is a bad idea? Hoping someone else here has mated these two and can tell if it works or not. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    If anyone finds this in the future. I called up a few places and mercury. The general consensus is that there's no point, because if you dont have a SeaCore Transom Assembly and Motor you arent getting the major thing (The 3 year warranty) as well as the major protection.  There also could be a problem (according to Mercury) with dissimilar metals. 

So Regular new B3 here I come... someone is going to get a great boat (and deal) a year from right now when it goes up on the market! 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally you are selling it. Get a decent offshore boat
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and how much have you spent on this boat in 3 years???????
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh stop it ....partypooper steve!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see @J3ff on a pontoon.  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hogwash.  No dissimilar metals.  I just put in 2 new seacore transom assy’s mated to standard B-III outdrives.  They are an upgrade to the std transom assy.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    You're in Michigan lol 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I am no mechanic but a handy tinkerer..and only seeing a merc transom asy for the bravo III , it is not a friendly design.

The way the keyholes are cut, you'd think someone went at it with a chain saw- holes for the studs side wood/transom is pretty thin. Not  blaming rinker, I'm sure they all do it. They could cut it out with a little more care and wrap some fiberglass over the raw wood besides spraying some paint. And sure could come up with a better seal..

It seems to me when they lay out the casting with holes for this and that, spread them out so you can actually get to the clamps? It would not add much weight, very little cost of material with what they sell for...

Any of the other brands any different?
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a seacore bravo 3 on my 2003 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volvo Ocean X 😎. Never fully read about these till recently, there is some nice upgrades besides the coatings. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I would not be over sold on the anodized- it's only in the metal a few thousands of an inch and once it is corroded away your back to zip I think.....I'd be more interested in a better seal design and space to hook everything up!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Alswagg said:
    So many advantages to the sea core. The anodized coating alone is worth the upgrade. Not even sure why Merc builds the standard drive anymore.  
    Okay, anything else? Drive has not been ordered yet... Sea core drive can bolt up to non sea core transom assembly right?
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I put one on mine I think its the same year 2003? right ? 
  • Options
    Or buy an old volvo penta 280 ot 290 and swap controls, transom plate and outdrive.  Then you'll need to dispose of the old boat.   I quite like the old bullet proof outdrives.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick. The seacore is aluminum..just like the ‘std’ B-III outdrive. So zero dissimilar metal issues. 

We do like our shark free, no salt added great lakes! 😊

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Sharks dont bother me so much as the things that sting
  • Options
    Thank you for all your advice @Alswagg's comment tipped the scales and went with sea core.. now here's something a little shocking.. maybe it's a Keys thing? I've been told to not paint the drive, just get down there every 2 weeks and scrub it... (which I do anyway)...

Normally up North that would be a WTF moment, however I do have to say there is almost ZERO growth on the boat here... there are a couple little spots where the trailer scratched paint off the bottom... and there is zero growth there... the only kind of growth I've seen is the side of the boat that has sun on it seem to get some grass kind of stuff... that easily brushes off.. 

Is this part of the sea core thing? not painting it? 
  • Options
    Is that with no paint?! What??

The SeaCore™ Protection System from MerCruiser offers more than just improved corrosion resistance. It’s as close as a marine propulsion system can come to being corrosion-proof. Mercury Marine so strongly believes its corrosion protection is the best on the water that MerCruiser provides a standard four-year limited corrosion failure warranty.

The heart of the corrosion-resistant strength of the SeaCore System is the hardcoat anodizing of the drive alloy. This process actually changes the molecular structure of the XK-360 aluminium alloy, creating a shield against the ravages of galvanic corrosion. Hardcoat anodizing is also more abrasion resistant than case-hardened steel, but if the drive is scratched, the anodizing slows the destructive growth of corrosion through the drive surface.

The SeaCore System also provides corrosion protection for the engine with features like closed-cooling and a 316 stainless steel package.

In a two-year test period in a normal saltwater environment, SeaCore hardcoat-anodized units were 25 times more corrosion-resistant.

Mercruiser Sterndrive Seacore Corrosion protection features:

XK360 - a low copper, high strength aluminum alloy for corrosion resistance.

Ultra-Pure Aluminum Anodes or Magnesium Anode Kit

MercFusion Paint System - Irridite, EDP & Powder Paint which creates a tough, durable corrosion resistant barrier

MerCathode® - Active corrosion prevention

Integrated Freshwater Flush - Preventive corrosion protection

2 Anti-Cavitation Plate Anodes 

Propshaft Anode

Stainless Steel Bearing Carrier (Bravo Three)

Closed Cooling System - Seals out saltwater from the block

SeaCore Hard Anodising & Sealing Treatment - More abrasion-resistant to reduce galvanic corrosion. Mercury's hard anodising process grows a hard, abrasion resistant aluminum oxide coating from the aluminum itself (instead of simply depositing a coating on the surface).

FOUR YEAR Limited Corrosion Failure Warranty

Assuming it only has a 1 year warranty... since it's just the drive.. 

• Options
    Sounds pretty tight!
  • Options
    You sold me on it.