Options

CAN & US Border - CV19

mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
This is starting to be a real bummer. For us mid-west boaters Jobbie Nooner tomorrow in Lake St Clair. Us canadians can't go obviously with the border shut, even tho it's barely into U.S. waters. I called CBP yesterday to be sure - answer was 'hard no'.

Long story short, a big chunk of area we boat in is off limits. Border currently shut till July 22nd - but grumblings that the border may not even open this year at all. Those spikes in Florida & Texas don't bode well for opening borders. Powers that be are worried about 2nd wave, when we haven't really got thru the 1st wave yet.

Funny, in my area we have a bunch U.S. boaters that keep boats here at our CDN marina. They're buggered, can't cross into Canada & stuck on the hard. Got a CDN buddy of mine with his boat still in winter storage at a marina in Port Huron, Mich.
Strange times.

Personally just venting, 1st world problem I guess. Sled season got shut down for Mar/Apr - that p!$$ed me off, was hoping boating wouldn't be impaired. Not so.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    You're definitely not alone.  Even down here in Virginia, there are boaters getting hosed by the border closings.  A buddy of mine retired over the winter so he could cruise the Great Loop, but he had to come out of retirement and go back to work.  

On the other hand, maybe your liver is better off having a season without Jobbie Nooner!   :D
  • Options
    True about the liver. Miss the cheap BudLight in Mi. Virtually all our relatives are in Mi, Ohio, etc. Can't see them either.

Real good buddy of mine has a $450K cottage in Lapeer, Mi. Hasn't seen it since Feb. His boat dealer has his new pontoon sitting in the showroom since last fall.

No go - for he & his family. They're severely bummed.

Hopefully we can make Raft Off in Lk St Clair on Aug 8th. But, really doubt the border will actually open after July 21st as planned. 

Yaa, the loopers will be shut down totally. Trent Severn waterway will miss them.

Old Jobbie pic......

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny.  For some strange reason i have a completely different definition of a Nooner.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And "Jobbie" also!😎
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are at least a half-dozen Americans regularly visiting their boats at my marina on the St. Lawrence River that separates Canada and the U.S. - maybe they got themselves declared "essential" to cross the border? We are happy to have them here as they are good neighbours and most of us feel C19 is waaay overstated. Do feel really sorry for those who can't get to their boats.
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    There are at least a half-dozen Americans regularly visiting their boats at my marina on the St. Lawrence River that separates Canada and the U.S. - maybe they got themselves declared "essential" to cross the border? 
    Yep - essential workers move back & forth fairly easy. Lots of med people here go across. But - then again it's not that many.  
    Strange times.

• Options
    What is Jobbie Nooner?????

2020 will be #46

https://jobbiecrew.com/jobbie-nooner-2/

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. We are doing a week long trip in two weeks. Wanted to do Canada and Michigan but after a lot of discussion we are staying in Lake Erie and in Ohio. Just not going to be the best cruising summer but making the best of it...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    come to FL....it's the wild west down here....and it's showing!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras .....what do you mean by "wild west"?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Ras .....what do you mean by "wild west"?
    He means anything goes here and on the beach
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    We just motor on, strong will survive and thin the heard...to many old people taking up space here anyway.

I am being sarcastic...but it is wide open...

And been a while since I hung out at the beach...not to many years ago thongs were illegal...now they walk around the beach towns like that...not near as much fun as ot used to be...
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All I've seen in south Florida are face masks and Trump flags.  Ive seen more Trump flags on the islands than I did at a South Carolina trump flag boat parade 3 weeks ago.  Not a political statement just observation. None of the flags i fly are political unelss you're a salty flyers/caps fan.    

Miami wins the all time worst drivers award. Another observation.

Swim suits leave zero to the imagination. I am not complaining.  Dont let the admiral know this was also an observation and my personal opinion.

The only thing I've seen wild here are the drivers and traffic

• Options
    As you can imagine, with DC being a political town, members of my yacht club fly political flags of all flavors ... but ONLY when they are out of the marina.  Following a tradition that dates back 60+ years, they furl those flags within the marina.  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a cowboy Regan flag
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I'd like to make a point about the difference between C19 and other viruses like flu or SARS.  (I'm not an MD, but this is a topic of professional interest for me.)
    In general, a person's ability to spread a virus depends on their "viral load" ... basically the number of virus baddies in the body.
    With most viral infections, the viral load peaks <at the same time> as the onset of severe symptoms.  In other words, by the time a person becomes really contagious, they already feel like hammered sh!t.  
    With C19, the peak viral load happens BEFORE symptoms appear.  By the time you feel bad, you've already been contagious for days.  That's why this virus is so successful (in evolutionary terms).  You don't feel sick until after you've already infected your friends. 

If the C19 virus had the ability to wish for something, it would wish for Jobbie Nooner!
  • Options
    If the CDC info today saying what 22 million people may have been affected as of now? That would be a good sign and much better mortality rate than thought? We have to protect the vunrable (me) but I pray we can get through this...
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I drove to Syracuse today along the I-90 and it is sad to see the lack of water in the canal/Mohawk River. And without snowmelt to fill it up even if they get the locks open - some tomorrow to E6 only - I doubt there will be sufficient width and depth in places, especially the canal sections out to Oneida Lake. North bounders - C-12 into Lake Champlain is not planned to open till mid August water is low at Waterford, who knows going north. Many sections there are already draft challenged.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    I drove to Syracuse today along the I-90 and it is sad to see the lack of water in the canal/Mohawk River. And without snowmelt to fill it up even if they get the locks open - some tomorrow to E6 only - I doubt there will be sufficient width and depth in places, especially the canal sections out to Oneida Lake. North bounders - C-12 into Lake Champlain is not planned to open till mid August water is low at Waterford, who knows going north. Many sections there are already draft challenged.
    Have no fear you will get some hurricane remnants up that way
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!  Where did all that water go? Did it devastate any communities down stream??

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Bummer about your sisters' property Shaun.

That was a nutty scenario at Wixom Lk. Been following that. We only got an inch or so of rain that day. Think they said that part of Mi got like 5-7 inches in a real short period of time.