Options

Water leaks from generator

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Ran generator for it's weekly 30 minute exercise a couple of weeks ago.  Had to go into engine room shortly after and discovered a noticeable amount of extra water in bilge. There was no water coming from thru hull or inlet or outlet to strainer, so figured must be at the genny itself.  Would investigate next trip up.

So earlier this week was back up and discovered with genny running, a steam of water pouring from a screw in bottom of "muffler".  This should be easy.  Go to tighten screw and threads of hole are stripped.  Wrapped screw in teflon tape and got it to stop.  Never knew that screw hole was there but after finding it I imagine it's to drain water from "muffler" canister during winterization. 

So stopped that leak but see another drip of water.  The source of this one is a drain tube coming from the siphon break.  Since there's a drain tube attached I assume it's normal (at least in some situations) for water to come out of it.  Mine's dripping 2 drops a second with genny running.  Would that be normal?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clear hose on the siphon brake isn’t normal. Replace the reed valve and remove that setup.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Or just replace or clean the valve.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 06 342 had that same set up for the siphon. Black hoses to the valve, and I had the clear hose coming down. The black valve leaked once while the genny was running and it was because the very top nipple that the clear hose attaches too was loose. I was able to just twist it twice to screw Rubin farther and the leak stopped. Didn’t need to replace. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I am going to have to look and see if i have that screw.  I definitely dont have the hoses for the siphon.  I just blow air through it and then pink to winterize.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    The hoses are on “newer” boats, as I understand it they allow us to crank for longer without flooding the engine with water.

• Options
    @Liberty44140 Would they typically drip water the whole time the generator is running?
  • Options
    No mine never did. Was always dry. Only leak was that top black nipple being loose and a few twists to screw it in and it was always dry. You can’t have water dripping down on your generator, that will be expensive 

• Options

Here is where mine dripped and this just screwed in to seal and dry from there:

• Options
    Mine drips into the clear hose and outlets into the bilge just as it was designed.  Just wonder if it is supposed constantly drip when generator is running.
  • Options
    Mine never dripped while running so I can’t help there. If anything, a normal drip would be out the clear hose and not from the black fitting, but my clear hose never dripped. Perhaps could be because mine was farther above the waterline, don’t know....

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the purpose of this siphon? I didn’t have one on my generator but it was diesel so I didn’t need that moronic stuff anyway 🤓
  • Options
    @Handymans342 , it has to do with the waterline.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The duckbill valve inside that fitting needs replacing. Should be an easy find. I’d get rid of that clear tubing. It completely mutes that anti-siphon valve. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @aero3113 does yours have the clear tubing?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    geeesh, I don't recall seeing anything like this on my Kohler  ....just a raw water pickup and a discharge hose to the side...will have to look!
  • Options
    Spyderweb said:
    @aero3113 does yours have the clear tubing?
    No, it doesn’t.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My boat has the same clear hose setup and a constant flow of water is streaming into the bilge from the clear hose when the generator is running. I assume I need a new one?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Took the little valve out yesterday.  Appeared clean, very supple.  Washed it off anyways, reinstalled and turned on generator.  The water just steamed out that clear hose.  I ordered a new valve on the spot.  $8.00+ for the part, $13.00+ for shipping.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    This one? Mine is also very supple. Where did you order from??

Which way were your nipples pointed? Mine were pointed as shown. 

• Options
    Ordered from colburn power systems.  Part #328666.
    I’d say yours is backwards.  Look at @Liberty44140 picture above.  Unscrew the elbow in your picture, and the tiny “duckbill valve” sits in the “U” shaped part.  The duck bill part is facing down, the round part facing up.  
  • Options
    Spyderweb said:
    Ordered from colburn power systems.  Part #328666.
    I’d say yours is backwards.  Look at @Liberty44140 picture above.  Unscrew the elbow in your picture, and the tiny “duckbill valve” sits in the “U” shaped part.  The duck bill part is facing down, the round part facing up.  
    Thanks!

I thought it was backwards so I flipped it and reinstalled and it’s still flowing water from the clear hose so I will order new as well. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Can I just plug this hose for now while I’m anchored? Seems as though this apparatus is just to prevent water logging when partying like @javhav ?
  • Options
    I still don't get why it's there.  Aero doesn't even have one.  So that would be like plugging ours up, I guess.
  • Options
    I installed the new valve and everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks @Spyderweb !!

New on the left. 

• Options
    That’s great news.  My new valve just arrived this week.  Going to boat tomorrow and will try it out.
  • Options
    Installed new valve yesterday and now no more water drip.  Success!
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks for figuring that one out!