Options

Need to replace the radio

Got another question for the group.  My Kenwood radio is showing signs of dying and I would like to replace it.  The two Kenwood wired remotes still work and I would like to keep their functionality.

So I am going to buy a new Kenwood receiver and just plug it in to the cabin speakers and amp.  The wired remotes come to the unit with one wire.  Any advice on which Kenwood model would be able to have the remote wire plugged straight in?

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know nothing about radios but I do know this stuff changes all the time...might be easier just to start from scratch...probably can run it from an app on your phone!

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded the clarion and the old wired remotes don't work so rather than buy two remotes at $150 each and deal with running the new wiring for the newer style remotes I just run it from my phone. I'll remove the remotes at some point and use those little spaces for others stuff. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be wrong (My wife says I often am) but I seem to recall an adapter that can be bought to make the old style Kenwood. remotes work with the new units. Maybe search the forum and it'll pop up.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put in a Fusion system. Remotes are bluetooth and an app for phones too.  Great system and you can keep your amplifier. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I have a fairly new Kenwood with a wired remote on the transom. Can’t remember the model number can I can look the next time out. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do yourself a favor and see if you can get one with the same wiring harness too. I just replaced a clarion radio from 10 years ago with a newer M505 clarion today. I couldn't believe it, but the wiring harness and the remote controls all match up. Made this a 30 min job instead of the usual tedious job of wiring in a new harness. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 min boat job is awesome!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Do yourself a favor and see if you can get one with the same wiring harness too. I just replaced a clarion radio from 10 years ago with a newer M505 clarion today. I couldn't believe it, but the wiring harness and the remote controls all match up. Made this a 30 min job instead of the usual tedious job of wiring in a new harness. 
    I did the same thing.  It was brilliant, except the remotes.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put the M608 on my boat. I fished the new remote lines as well. It works great! I also had a Clarion that I replaced. It was plug and play with the old unit. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My post last year about the $70 JVC KD-X350BTS head unit and remote.

Andy