Options

Alternator questions.

69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
Not to rehash bad old memories, but a while back I posted a question about a high output alternator to power a high wattage stereo. It was locked because it got ugly (no hard feelings to anyone). I’ve now received several private messages asking if I ever found a solution, so I wanted to share my experiences for people to see. I had my stock 70 amp alternator repowered to output 180 amps, along with adding 2 XS 3000XP batteries. I’ve upgraded amps since then and it’s powering a Kicker 2400.1, and a 800.8, so I have a lot of draw. The main issue presented to me in the previous thread was that a higher output alternator would kick the ECMs 70 amp breaker. After a couple of years of running my setup, this hasn’t happened. As I stated in that thread, amps are delivered on a “on demand” basis, so factory wiring is unaffected. I hope this helps people who are doing searches looking for answers to this question. 

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, how can a thread about alternators get ugly? Wait, did someone bring up diesels,?

My boat has a factory amp if some sort...if I run the radio without it running it is a battery killer.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a wake board boat?  

Sailboaters and motorboaters hate each other.

Owning both i am probably going to have some emotional break down at some point 

All boaters hate wake board boats and jet skis
  • Options
    A wakeboard boat? Negative. Does Rinker even make a wakeboard boat?

• Options
    rasbury said:
    Dang, how can a thread about alternators get ugly? Wait, did someone bring up diesels,?

My boat has a factory amp if some sort...if I run the radio without it running it is a battery killer.
    It just did. People have misconceptions on how amperage draw works. I have ran this radio on 1 battery for 6 hours at 80% volume and the engine cranked like it was a fresh new battery. Those XS batteries are good. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate everyone else’s taste in music and I hope their batteries die  B)
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I hate everyone else’s taste in music and I hope their batteries die  B)
    I do too, but I don’t make them listen to mine either. The volume stays down when around other boats. The only rime it really goes up is when we have a beach to ourselves and are out of the boat, playing in the water. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And all wake boats must die!. Those guys seem to have the crappiest taste in music, always at full volume. And I get the idea of a wake boat, but why does everyone I see on the lake seem to think they have to buzz anyone anchored to show off? Its a big lake, bugger off!
    End of rant. Sorry @69fastback for hijacking your thread.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    And all wake boats must die!. Those guys seem to have the crappiest taste in music, always at full volume. And I get the idea of a wake boat, but why does everyone I see on the lake seem to think they have to buzz anyone anchored to show off? Its a big lake, bugger off!
    End of rant. Sorry @69fastback for hijacking your thread.
    It’s bad down here too, and it’s amazing how many wakeboard boats are here. Lots of money in the Dallas area so all these guys think they have to have a surf boat. On any Saturday or Sunday the boat ramp Will be packed full of $200K surf boats being pulled by $90K trucks. I can’t figure out if there are that many rich people, or that many people in debt. This why we try to only go to the lake during the week. 
  • Options
    I dont see wake boards boats on the rocks but why oh god why do other boaters run through my chum slick.  There are literally thousands of miles of both bay and Atlantic Ocean.
  • Options
    By rocks i mean the keys islands. Walk barefoot in the coral Islands ..its hard rock.  This rant is fueled by rum and sun screen.  
  • Options
    To be fair, a large majority of the bass boat guys are worse about being courteous on the water, and I say this while owning a bass boat. Those guys think pleasure boats have no business on their lake and I take great caution in not rolling up in an area and making continuous big waves, while towing my kids, where they’re fishing. If there’s already someone in there fishing, I just go somewhere else. They don’t care though. They still act like Aholes.