Options

VHF radio mounting options

RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Electrical Discussions
I am buying a fixed mount VHF radio and I am looking for options. The helm of my 232  doesn't have a lot of extra space. Any ideas? Pictures would help.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Maybe use a black box radio?  The only thing mounted at the helm is the handset. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Maybe use a black box radio?  The only thing mounted at the helm is the handset. 
    Do they make one with AIS? Which model would you recommend? Currently, I am looking at the Standard Horizon GX2200 which I can get for about $300.
  • Options
    If you are sure you need AIS, I'm not seeing any good options for black box radios.  ICOM has the M400BB, but it uses an external AIS transceiver, and I doubt you want that.  Raymarine makes one with AIS, for (gulp) $1700.  

Standard Horizon has been making good radios for a long time.  That GX2200 looks like a great deal for $300.  So, back to your question.  Maybe you could mount it on the right side, above the speaker.  Put the microphone just below your 12-volt plug, to the right of the steering wheel.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always get a handheld.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    If you are sure you need AIS, I'm not seeing any good options for black box radios.  ICOM has the M400BB, but it uses an external AIS transceiver, and I doubt you want that.  Raymarine makes one with AIS, for (gulp) $1700.  

Standard Horizon has been making good radios for a long time.  That GX2200 looks like a great deal for $300.  So, back to your question.  Maybe you could mount it on the right side, above the speaker.  Put the microphone just below your 12-volt plug, to the right of the steering wheel.  
    I think I will buy the GX2200 and see if I can make it work. If not, I can return it. I was thinking I could do something with the map pocket beside the seat.
    I mainly boat on the Ohio River and I am rarely out of cell range but a couple of times a year we go to Lake Erie. That's were I think AIS would be nice to have.
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    You can always get a handheld.
    I have heard that handhelds often under perform. Have you had good luck with them?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would trust a hand held as back up only, or limited use. Handhelds typically push out 5 watts max, mounted radio 25 watts so much better range on a big water body.
    But a handheld would be better than nothing.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Handheld radios are limited to 6 watts of transmit power.  Fixed-mount radios can do 25 watts.

Speaking of which:  where are you going to mount the antenna?  It has built-in GPS and AIS receivers, but you need an external VHF antenna.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an Icom IC-M93D handheld. But yes, it’s used as a backup and on the kayak. But if it’s your only option it’s great to have, especially with GPS.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think the gx2200 has an accessory mic for a second helm station.  You could mount the radio anywhere and run the mic to the helm

I was looking at the same radio

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-CMP31-RAM3-Mic-P4802.aspx
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Handheld radios are limited to 6 watts of transmit power.  Fixed-mount radios can do 25 watts.

Speaking of which:  where are you going to mount the antenna?  It has built-in GPS and AIS receivers, but you need an external VHF antenna.  
    I am looking at the Shakespeare 5400 XT 4 foot antenna with a bow rail mount.
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    I think the gx2200 has an accessory mic for a second helm station.  You could mount the radio anywhere and run the mic to the helm

I was looking at the same radio

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-CMP31-RAM3-Mic-P4802.aspx
    That's an idea. Maybe mount the main radio somewhere in the cuddy.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah maybe...not sure if the effect the GPS reception.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Yeah maybe...not sure if the effect the GPS reception.
    It may, unless there's an option for an external GPS antenna. And when choosing a VHF antenna, remember that VHF is line of sight. Taller and higher mounted antenna provides both better reception and transmission.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)