Options

Steering pin/transom assembly moisture

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Does this look like I have a leak or is this normal?  Is the white stuff corrosion?
 Thanks all.

Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yea, that’s your steering pin seal starting to leak.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree.  Its such a poor design
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is...I can see 50 years ago but come on merc...
  • Options
    outdrive needs to be removed?  Should I do immediately or ok to wait until end of season when boat is hauled?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    End of season. Yes and gimbal ring, check for side to side movement as you may need pin and/or ring. It’s a PITA job.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Gimbal bearing was done in May of 2016.  How often do they go?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    If you’re going to get the pin replaced, replace it at the same time along with the bellows.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The engine has to be pulled in order to do the steering pin.  There is an option out there by J R Marine created for doing it without but I don't thinks shops will do it.

http://jrmarine.com/videos.htm
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    There’s also a Merc method that I used - a hole each side versus cutting out the face. I didn’t want to pull the engine, preferred to swear at it while doing it saving money.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Marina did mine last winter using method @icoultha mentioned.  Quoted price for doing steering pin plus bellows was $2500.  
  • Options
    It cost you $2500 to use the Merc method?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The gimbal ring if it's damaged is around $1000 by itself...most of the time it is damaged.  While you are in there look at bellows, gimbal bearing ect...

It's not an easy job any way you attack it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    How often is gimbal ring replaced?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    The problem is if the steering pin becomes corroded and leaks it gets loose in the gimbal ring and as it moves around it rounds out the square key hole in the gimbal ring.  So it really depends on how much if any damage has been done.  You might get lucky.

Bad looks like this or worse.  It should be square.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    It cost you $2500 to use the Merc method?
    Not positive what the method was called, but there’s a hole on either side of the housing now.
  • Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    pretty sure that is the Merc method.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Gimbal bearing was done in May of 2016.  How often do they go?
    Well, mine has been done 3 times since then one drive and twice since then on the other.  Outdrives are a big pain.  Next boat won't have them!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Dream_Inn - totally agree.  Everytime I have work done there something else wrong that's big bucks.  Stern drives suck
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    My wife and have have been discussing how we want a boat without an outdrive.  It takes up most of my maintenance cost every year. always something.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...

At least one of my steering pins is leaking. Maybe both. I just did transom assembly work (bellows gimbal etc) over the winter and sadly the tech did not note that the steering pins should be replaced. 

From what I’ve read, and what’s posted above, the gimbal ring may also need to be replaced along with the steering pins. So probably a $5000 job when it’s all said and done. 

My question - why shouldn’t I just live with the leaking pin? What’s the risk? Aside from the annoyance of a wet bilge of course. I guess one day the steering pin might finally rust through and break?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @YYZRC , you can live with it. Keep an eye on the components for corrosion though. I have no play in the ring and mine are leaking slightly. Trying to decide if I want to have the work done over this winter or next. The $5k amount would/should get you a new transom assembly and installation.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    If the corrosion gets bad enough and the gimbal ring gets damaged you could lose steering.  That happening while cruising could be very bad.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I had my starboard side done last Fall.  Quoted price was $2200 for steering pin and bellows replacement.  I lived with the leak for 2 seasons.  Had trouble finding someone to do work.  
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    If the corrosion gets bad enough and the gimbal ring gets damaged you could lose steering.  That happening while cruising could be very bad.
    Would only lose steering on one drive though. I assume the drive would naturally center without any steering stability?
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @YYZRC , you can live with it. Keep an eye on the components for corrosion though. I have no play in the ring and mine are leaking slightly. Trying to decide if I want to have the work done over this winter or next. The $5k amount would/should get you a new transom assembly and installation.
    Doesn’t the engine have to come out to replace the transom assembly? That’s more than I want to tackle. 
  • Options
    Yes, at least pulled forward.
    2008 330EC