Options

BONEHEAD MOVE

skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭

Along with the world famous opening the engine hatch with the door latch still engaged, how many others have

tried to pull up the anchor with the windlass, while forgetting the rode was still tied down to the cleat in the anchor locker?

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite but same idea. I use a bridle when anchored and sometimes forget to release it when raising anchor. I have 50 feet of chain and so have a bridle with a clevis hook so I hear it hit the pulpit roller and stop.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Was backing out of a shallow creek and hit bottom. Ripped off one outdrive and broke the TA. It was hanging on by just the bellows.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was backing out of a shallow creek and hit bottom. Ripped off one outdrive and broke the TA. It was hanging on by just the bellows.
    Now that’s a bad day!!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that something insurance would cover?
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    That’s what insurance is for!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done this a couple of times. When I go down an anchor at the beach I don't always raft up. So when I'm buy my self I dont always take the load off the windless. Then if some comes over to raft up I will tie off to the cleat. Well when it come time to leave you suppose to remember these things. Now let me ask you (don't look) what color are your socks you put on this morning. And yes I have broke 2 latches and the door 1 on my 270 and 1 on my 342.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    When we bought our first boat in 2015 (1986 250 Sundancer) backed it off the trailer and right over to the shallow rocks. Panicked a little and revved it to back out instead of raising the drive a little. Ruined that prop within 5 minutes of our boating career. Luckily it was a cheapie aluminum and not brand new.

And I have not had any socks on today so no problem there...lol. I have been working from home for the last 5 years so hardly ever have socks on.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Drain plug for me 2 weeks ago......first year trailering so not surprised I missed it. Thank god I remembered before I was too far from the dock.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Leaving our slip with the shore power cord still hooked up.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Have done the forget the drain plug thing on a previous boat. Came back to the dock 20 minutes later after going to buy bait to see the boat held up only by the outboard foot and lines on the dock. It's how I learned my auto-inflate PFD's work.
    Also tried to pull away from the slip when I first got my 270 while forgetting a spring line that caused me to bash into the finger dock beside me....
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, knock on wood..have not had anything to share...except putting gas in the  waste tank- just had put the motor in and first trip in what two years? Guess I was a little over excited....I have never told  anyone that one, what a mess and I don't want to discuss it😷
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Leaving our slip with the shore power cord still hooked up.
    Did that 2X at my house. 
    1. Backed up with the diesel still plugged in - tore the trim off the entire garage door.
    2. 1998 at our old house, getting ready for sledding, hooked onto my snowmobile trailer late at night, (had a couple drinkypoos) pulled down the driveway - ripped the gas meter off the house. Fire trucks, utility trucks, the works. Street lit up like Christmas time....
    Cold shower next morning - still went to the UP Mich. Wifey not pleased.

I’m a bit of a legend for #2 locally. 

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second one is hellacious @mattie !! You sound like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @mattie - I bet you had a lot to talk about on that trip to the UP...LOL
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years back Rinker bow rider with 390Hp 383 in it on a trailer in the water. Kept giving it throttle, really starting to roar  but wouldn't budge. Said to the Admiral who was backing the rig in - shouldn't you back it in more? Admiral replied - shouldn't you remove the trailer tie-down straps? C R I N G E!!!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited July 2020
    Since we're all sharing our own bonehead blunders to make @skuter99 feel better ...

Years ago when the Admiral and I were "two yoots" in a Maxum 2400, we once cruised the entire navigable Rappahannock River -- about 85 miles -- on the assumption that the city of Fredericksburg would have a marina with fuel.  It did not.  We headed back down-river, and when the engine died, we were still six miles away from the only fuel on that river (Tides Inn). 

I rowed the boat to shore using an improvised oar made by tying a flip-flop to a boat hook.  Then, feeling like Humphrey Bogart in "The African Queen", I hauled the boat upriver a quarter-mile to a private dock we had just passed.  All I wanted was a phone, but the owner gave me 10 gallons of gas and refused to accept payment.  

And that's how I learned about fuel management!
  • Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Thanks all!  I feel better already.  LOL
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone that has a trailerable boat needs to raise their hand for every time they pulled the boat out without raising up the outdrive.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Everyone that has a trailerable boat needs to raise their hand for every time they pulled the boat out without raising up the outdrive.
    At least once....😒
  • Options
    Not really a bonehead move but this season when I launched the boat I forgot to trim the drive down when I started it up.  It was bubbling so bad I was like oh **** something is wrong.  Only to realize 10 minutes late that the drive was up.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Did that once but luckily it didn't hit and there was a guy on the dock at the back of my boat that noticed it pretty quick,
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/zJswQOppMHw

Check out about 1:28 (Over boated & under trucked)

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    not really a bone headed- well, actually, it was almost perfectly a bone headed move: 

today i grabbed a visor someone gave me some time back.. i usually wear a ball cap on the water, but for the first time in my life that i can recall i put a visor on... 

ripping down the water way at 40ish mph i reach up and rip that thing off and inspect it- and realize immediately how stupid i can be... 

my hair was flapping in the breeze- which is usually encased in a ball cap.... and i was certain for at least the split second i fired off the reflexive action to $natch that thing off and investigate what was in my hat making all that commotion... 

my wife looked at me a little funny, and i didn't say anything... i could see her in my peripheral, and didn't even turn toward her... acted like such things are normal... i tell y'all because it was pretty funny to me.  
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    My hand is up.  I can still see the 10 foot white streak I left on the concrete ramp.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish my hair flapped in the breeze...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I wish my hair flapped in the breeze...
    LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    as i have the same issues = i just say when we are running along = gee i love the way the wind blows thru my hair = my wife just looks and laughs
  • Options
    Last weekend I put bilge cleaner in the bilge and vacuumed up the left overs with a shop vac.  Walked down the dock carrying it by the handle and wouldn't you know the bucket popped off and spilled the nasty crappy water over myself and the dock.  I was carrying it to a disposal container we have at our dock for waste oil ect....
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of many...

I was running wires from the breaker panel to the helm while anchored out. One of the neutral safety wires was in the way so I unplugged it, ran the wire, and plugged it back in “by feel”. Went to leave and motor wound not start. I knew I had plugged the neutral safety connector back in and the VesselView was reporting neutral so I assumed something died. 

Limped back to the marina and after several hours of labor the tech determined that I had plugged the neutral safety into the wrong connector  :|

Lesson learned!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I have another from last weekend.  Had my sister and her bf to the boat.  First visitors of the season.  Went to start the motor and all it would do is crank and crank...I was like what the fxxck she starts on the first turn all the time.  After some swearing realized my daughter pulled off the safety lanyard.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3