Options

Rinker 280 AC issue . Think it’s a pump

tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
Hey folks....

Hoping I could get some insight or opinions. 

Had a great night on the hook for Canada Day here... last night tried to turn on the AC it ran for a couple min and got the HPF error. Never happened before and we use the AC regularly. 

I cleaned the strainer and checked for any blockage under the hull and nothing was blocking it, couldn’t get it figured out so went to bed. 

Came in to the dock today and tried again and noticed no water coming out and got the HPF again. It would work for a few min and then the error. I went under the mid berth and checked the pump and it was silent. I’m hoping it might just be a pump issue. Wanted some opinions and also maybe what pump to replace it with. 

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what the issue would be but maybe you can answer a question for me. Where is the strainer located? Is it in the mid bilge where the thru hull is?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Yep. Follow from the ac thru hull. Just above it 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks. I think I have actually seen it before. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check breaker to pump. Check voltage to pump. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure the strainer is clean. It is located under the aft cabin mattress just behind the steps. Be sure to close the thru hull valve first. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I replaced mine last year.  This is what I used.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1529228040
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    you say no flow = when you cleaned strainer = you primed the pump ? 
  • Options
    Mine became finicky...I would arrive at the boat to find the cabin hot because the AC faulted.  Finally changed the pump and no more issues
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trip_n said:
    you say no flow = when you cleaned strainer = you primed the pump ? 
    ^^^ this ^^^ ... did you prime the pump?? Those pumps can easily airlock.  Trick is to crack open the strainer with the sea **** open ... to clear the air in the line. That most times puts enough water in the pump to get the flow going agian.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X3, prime. Pull hose off output of pump first to make sure the pump is pumping water. If it is pump is fine, if not pump is not so fine. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    My AC line has a T on it with a valve.  If I need to prime and get air bubbles out I just open the valve for a few seconds.  Makes things easy....boat came that way from previous owner.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    prime i use a hose with pressure into ac outlet or button up = after i pass the no wake i turn ac on taker up to 55/60 and it self primes.
    i also 1st year had the hpf - kept tripping of /no cool ... it looked like i had good flow - finally replaced new pump - been cold ever since - great probably just jinxed my ac
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I never had any issues with priming this pump. To be honest I think the pump is pooch. Doesn’t even make a sound when the ac is on before the hpf. I’ll try it though tomorrow. I called Dometic and they have a service center not far and the guy said he’ll come by for a service call but I’ll try priming it to see. 
  • Options
    Priming it didn't work... also discovered there was no power to the pump... likely a broken wire/connector from the condenser to the pump. Just ended up running a new wire from the condenser to the pump. Fishing it behind the condenser was no bueno. After trying for around 30 min to fish it and lots of swearing, just ended up drilling a small hole in the floor and the access panel and ran new wire. Can't see it as it's all under the mattress. Not the best solution, but it got hot under there and just wanted it done. Once connected, everything started to work again. 

Thanks again folks and hoping this might help someone later on. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch. Troubleshooting is fun
  • Options
    hey did you try drilling a hole in the floor.
    i get ya = i struggled with ours almost 2 months mainly because i had flow = everyone said it looked good
    new pump and working
    good job = stay cool 
  • Options
    trip_n said:
    hey did you try drilling a hole in the floor.
    i get ya = i struggled with ours almost 2 months mainly because i had flow = everyone said it looked good
    new pump and working
    good job = stay cool 
    I did... I put a small hole in the access panel and a small hole in the floor and just ran the wire that way. Not the most elegant but it works, is out of site and helped my sanity.