Over temp on stbd

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
Ok guys, I could use a little help here while I'm on boat vacation.  After about a half hour on plane, I got an alarm and my VV showed stbd overheat. It was only showing 178 on VV and 28psi for water.  I checked things out, even got in the water to make sure of no blockage.  Got back on plane and the stbd read 178 and port was 167 for the next half hour.  Stbd has always been 5-7 higher and about 8psi lower water pressure.  But 28 psi for stbd and 33 psi for port, always been that way.

So, when I got off plane second time, both engine temps went up 2-3 degrees, no big deal.  PSI still good as well, but stbd alarm went off again for overheat.  I'm thinking there is a separate switch for the alarm different than the temp gauge?  Could anyone tell me first that my statement is true?  Second, a PN for the merc 496?  I will look at it tomorrow...on vacation and on a second Mai Tai getting over my frustration!

And I swear I feel a bit of vibration from my drives after just getting worked on...maybe all in my head...

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    vibration... check the prop nut.... 

temperature- yes, two per engine- one is sender and the other is the sensor... they both work same way it's just one sends to computer and other the dash.  I'm curious as to which one VV uses. 

one is an el cheapo parts store fix (sender), and the other is fairly expensive for what it is- around $90 or so... 

in the 'frequently purchased together' thing below the product is both of them... this one is dirt cheap compared to others. 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    My VW uses a similar water temp sensor system.  The sensor uses one to display gauge and another for ecu. If the 2 read too far off a c.e.l. code is thrown.  Seems overly complicated.  

Is vibration only while on plane or just running? Can you run each engine one at a time to find a source of vibration? 

If both sound the same its in your head most likely. 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Guys, you are awesome with a quick response!  I have the best two guys with a response! So, I'm thinking for the temp, it's  a sensor since rowboat said there is two.

The vibration, it is possible that I didn't trim up enough.  The admiral didn't notice, nor did my first mate.  So, it could be just me.  It really was only on plane, maybe, just maybe, a tad more when turning on plane.  Only feel the give in the steering wheel.  I have about an hour ride home either tomorrow or Saturday.  So I'll take any suggestions.  I also thought about switching sensors tomorrow if I can find it. I'm thinking it may be around the exhaust? Riser area?

Yes, second Mai Tai done!!!

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on your Virginia Beach vacay?
    Are you on your Virginia Beach vacay?
    Well, it is our normal VA beach vaca, but with the vivid crap we made it a shorter distance trip.

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both senders should on the neck by the thermostat.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Both senders should on the neck by the thermostat.
    Thanks.  I think I will switch them between motors tomorrow morning.  But, where would the alarm switch be?  On exhaust risors?

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    number 7 or number 8  should be in the antifreeze 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct