Options

Holding Tank Level Sensor

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
Does anyone know where the holding tank level sensor is located. How hard is it to access? I have a 2002 342 FV. Thanks
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you can get the poopy tank from the port hole under the port seat and the water tank is under the garbage pail but you will have to pull the icemaker to reach it. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get to it pretty easy from the deck plate under the port seating. Really pretty easy to swap out. Have a garbage bag to put over it as you pull it out. 

You should have the fireboy-xinex sending unit with two wires. If I remember, either 17 or 19 “ long. You can get a ‘universal’ one and calibrate / cut to length. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 you can definitely get to both as described above.  Keep in mind that if one is bad they will likely both show up as not working.  I replaced mine a few years ago and bought ones that were too short.  So this time i am going to get longer ones, measure and calibrate them.  They come with 4 wires.  Two wires are only used for calibration.  Even when mine worked they would only show 3/4 full.  So i could have the water tank filled to the brim and it would only show 3/4.  Replacing the holding tank sensor isnt fun.  Especially in this heat.  I hope you have a strong stomach.  That is the one job that made me pretty queasy.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Thanks guys I know it's a $hitty job butt it has to be done...lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just open hatch and look in. 
  • Options
    @raybo3. Maybe a 30 min job to swap out.  I put in plug in type connectors on the wires to make it easier too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    cme4braincme4brain Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    @raybo3 you can definitely get to both as described above.  Keep in mind that if one is bad they will likely both show up as not working.  I replaced mine a few years ago and bought ones that were too short.  So this time i am going to get longer ones, measure and calibrate them.  They come with 4 wires.  Two wires are only used for calibration.  Even when mine worked they would only show 3/4 full.  So i could have the water tank filled to the brim and it would only show 3/4.  Replacing the holding tank sensor isnt fun.  Especially in this heat.  I hope you have a strong stomach.  That is the one job that made me pretty queasy.
    where did you get the holding tank sensors?  Aren't they on the outside of the tank?  My holding tank sensors are not working.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is in the top. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
  • Options
    Yep, thats what I have. Best time to change is after a pump out, flush and winterize, the pink helps, especially when cooler.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Def not on the outside. They screw in. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been looking into Garnet tank sensors and just need to order it. They surface mount on the outside of the tank and measure from 0-100 in increments of 1. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you adhere them to the tank?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    And how do they measure through the tank?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    They stick on with 3M tape which holds very well, same type of stuff that is on the back of SeaDek and Marine Mat. Not sure of the science on how it reads through the tank but there is many videos on them and I haven't seen any complaints. I would assume it is getting some sort of resistance from liquid and passing current thru the sensor strip. 

They are only about $165
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my Sensatank sensors have fallen off. The tanks on my boat are rough and somewhat oily feeling on the outside. I tried double sided tape and contact cement to no avail. 

I don’t use the sensors anyway as I just visually check when I’m in the engine bay but it would be nice to have working for the next owner. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay