Generator and AC addition

Unfortunately my boat isn't equipped with a generator and AC.  I do however have a portable Honda gen and a portable AC that I bought from West Marine.  For those not familiar with that AC, it's works great but is one bulky and heavy unit. 

Not that I really need to but it would be nice to add an on board system,.  Years ago I looked into it and the cost was steep. Any one have any suggestions or know of any new technology?  
Thanks always!

Comments

• pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    There are many do-it-yourself units out there. There are many to choose from. Should run you about 2500 to 3000 if you do it yourself.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    I've looked into the cost of replacing my dated gen, it's roughly 5k or better. Cost of ac 1-2k plus install costs. Sure isn't cheap
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

We have an on-board a/c and genset for use when cruising but here's what I do when it's on the hard.

If you already have the portable genset maybe you could modify a typical small $100 window ac with some ingenious duct work to mount it at the cabin door(no ductwork needed, just a canvas panel snapped in place). Mine just sets in the step tilted aft to drain into the cabin door step well when the boats in my shop while I'm "working"(escaping) inside during the summer and it's plenty cold for $100. (PIC below). Or possibly set it up on the deck ducted into the front hatch.

I had the same little a/c for my sailboat doorway and it'd freeze us out. I'd take it out in the morning and stow it until we turned in at the end of the day. Please keep your CO detectors up and tested if you run a genset and only anchor from the bow. Hope that helps. have a great season. Mike

(Here's a pic showing it up off of the step but I'll just set it down into the well with the door open and a canvas/cloth/towel covers the upper opening. It's a chore to step over(but possible) but could be put in place at the end of the day to sleep comfortably and you'd be $2900 richer.)

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike has given you a great suggestion.  Also, PowerboatTV has a step by step video showing one version of an install, but it isn't cheap and it doesn't look easy, even though the installer seems to indicate it is. If you want to install a permanent system I think your first step should be to see if you have the room to run duct work. Question: Is the AC unit you have the kind that fits over your "openable"  front hatch? If it is and it's sized right for the cubic feet of airspace in your cabin that would be, in my opinion, the best permanent "commercially" available unit. If you don't need permanent, Mike's idea looks great. MT
  • ericdataericdata Member Posts: 38
    Thanks guys! Im sticking with the one that fits over my hatch. Its weighs a ton but it works :)
  • Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I had one of those AC through the hatch ones and they work great. You can also run with it in place if you tie it down properly... would help not having to lift the 60 lb unit every time you used the boat.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laugh if you will, but this thing works.... a fan doesn't draw too much power, and could operate off your batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Drew, I love it! I use the frozen gallon of water to keep my cooler cool and then drink the water when it melts.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Eric,
       My friend has a 280FV at our marina.  He uses an a/c unit that you would use in your house.  

Portable Air Conditioners
    He runs the duct work up through one of his hatches.  He says it works awesome.  When done for the night, he pulls in the duct vent, and the boat looks normal again.  Something to think about for your solution.  
    The Honda Gen will run it no problem btw.  Good luck finding your best solution.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • ericdataericdata Member Posts: 38
    Now that's a great option!  Capt Ron suggested to tie my current unit down which I was considering but if I can sell this massive thing I'm going to go this route!  Thanks!