Options

Lake Erie islands

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am looking for some advice on the western Lake Erie islands. I have a 5 year old daughter and am considering heading to Kelly's Island, Put-n-Bay and Middle Bass Island. Are there any public launches that are safe to leave a vehicle and trailer for the weekend? What are the towns like on the islands? Family friendly? I know that Put-n-Bay can be a giant party, so I might just got there for an afternoon. Are there beaches on the islands? Any advice would be great. I want to leave tomorrow morning if possible. 
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

You can leave your truck at Catawba Island Boat launch. Its a brand new ramp and dock with plenty of parking. This will put you in the most direct shot to P.I.B and Middle Bass Islands and also help you avoid the South Passage boat chop that takes place on weekends
    Post edited by earl1z19 on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    With your daughter in tow I would stay away from P.I.B not to mention that they have had a few Covid cases pop up the last few weeks. Portside Marina  at Kellys Island is nice 419-746-2668. You can also try Seaway Marina 419-746-2506, also on Kellys Island The state Park at Middle Bass is really nice. We stay there 1 night a weekend usually. If you dont have a reservation for a slip for this weekend it may be difficult to find a place there at this point. Call them today 419-285-0311 and check with Suzie. its the only place to dock there. Let me know if you need any other info
    Post edited by earl1z19 on
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My uncle runs a good sized boat up that way, older as well.  An old omc outdrive.  They used to(may still) go to Erie every summer. My grandparents used to own a place (possibly just bare land)on Erie way back before i was around.  My uncle still lives between slippery rock and butler.  

Im not super close to the family up there so i cant tell you much about it.  

May want to check out active captain or hull truth for more active user base for input on that area.  

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Lot's of drinky drinky going on at P.I.B.  Be careful boating that area.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    As others have said, Put in Bay can get kind of rowdy on the weekends. Drunks on boats and golf carts. If you go during the week the town has a calmer personality. There are 3 public docks near "downtown" PIB. 
    https://putinbay.com/boating-dockage/
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am cruising those islands right now. Kelley’s is nice and family friendly. Stay at the seaway marina so you are away from the loud crowds and it’s a calm marina. I am on middle bass right now and it’s dead. You can dock here, very nice state park marina with nice facilities. The main restaurant and bar is walleyes and they have a wading pool that kids love but it’s closed tues and weds as is the marina office. We are about to head to put in bay and yes there has been a large COVID outbreak but we are going anyway as we stay at the crews nest which has a very nice pool and is a nice calm place. We will only go to the outside bars. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thank you all for the information. So I could go to P-n-B tomorrow, spend the night, then Friday head to Middle Bass for the day, then cruise over to Kelly's for Friday night and Saturday night. Then I could see all 3 islands and not deal with the drinkers. 

How long of a ride is it from Sandusky to the islands? How long of a ride is it between islands? What about charts? 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Download Navionics to your cell phone. I think they have a 1 week free trial. It will give you all the map information you need. The current water level is 60" about Low water data so depth wont be as much an issue as in a normal year but still pay attention on your area of travel. You can see from one Island to the next.
  • Options
    Looks like Portside marina is going to be closed for a few days:

https://www.facebook.com/portside.marina/posts/3186290714747458
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I am waiting to hear back from Seaway. Just found out that I got a slip at Seaway for Friday and Saturday nights. I got a slip for tomorrow night at the Put-in-Bay Yacht Club. I would rather pay verses getting stuck at the city dock. What about the docks at Middle Bass? Are they run by the state parks system? I just want to head there for a few hours to check the place out and possibly grab lunch. 
    Post edited by Cableguy Greg on
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    They are run by the state. Check the first post I made, it had the phone number
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Greg, swing by my house and pic me up along the way...lol. Have a great time though. Just mentioned the other day I want to take our boat out there some day
  • Options
    boatman37 said:
    Greg, swing by my house and pic me up along the way...lol. Have a great time though. Just mentioned the other day I want to take our boat out there some day
    Come on up. I was down on the Beaver last weekend. I stayed at Taylir Cay. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    The ride from the Sandusky Ramps to Kelley’s will be 30 min. Catawba Ramps to Kelley’s will be less. Kelley’s to PIB is 25ish minutes. 

Yes middle bass is run by the state park so call that number. It’s a quiet island to explore.

just a warning I am at PIB now and a lot is closed. PIB YC is open so your fine there but up town is dead. Word is they may re open stuff today but I don’t know yet. We are staying at the crews nest so we have a pool to use all day. Headed back to Marblehead tomorrow...

• Options
    Just sent PM with my number in case you need to call or text. If your coming to PIBYC today I’ll see you, we are on a dock next to the YC dock 

• Options
    Spotted this beauty on Middle Bass Island 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    boatman37 said:
    Come on up. I was down on the Beaver last weekend. I stayed at Taylir Cay. 

Should have stopped by. We are at Bridgewater Landings. First marina on the left on your way in. We are on B dock 2nd boat in. There are 3 identical to ours there but the other 2 are on C dock. Stop by next time you are up that way. Usually if our mooring cover is off we are there.
    We never started ours up this past weekend. Went down Friday night to remove the cover and hang out then Saturday they had a party at our marina but my son had a party too so we didn't stay there long. Then Sunday my mother and step-father have a pontoon at River Harbor and we went out on their boat Sunday. They are pretty inexperienced so we went out and I showed them a few things and taught them how to anchor as they had never done it.
  • Options
    Was great to meet Greg and his family last night and this morning. Great group, we were docked 50 ft from each other. hope you continue to enjoy Ohio! 

• Options
    Was great to meet Greg and his family last night and this morning. Great group, we were docked 50 ft from each other. hope you continue to enjoy Ohio! 
    It’s always great to meet other forum members. Thank you for all of the information that you gave us. Hope you and your wife have a safe ride back to your home port. I will let you know the next time we head this way. Amanda, Wynee and I are having a great time exploring new water!! Hope to hang out with you more next time!!! 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Saw this EX290 hardtop at the city marina this morning. Love the colors!!! 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Made it to Kelley’s Island this afternoon and as I am coming into the harbor, boat throws a code. IAC valve. Ugh. Barely made it into my slip with a packed marina. It’s going to be ugly getting back to my truck and trailer not being able to idle. Any quick fixes other than replacing the valve which isn’t an option right now. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had the same thing happen  to me 35 miles from home. Motor run fine just had the beeps. 2002 ford winstar 3.8 is the right part AC423. $56 at o'Reilly's.  
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Huge thank you to @Liberty44140 for going to Mike’s Dockside Marine, grabbing the new IAC, then putting it on the ferry for me to pick up on the island. Got the part installed and I am back in business!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! We have the best forum members! 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    That is awesome!!!  This is what the forum is all about!  Kudos to @Liberty44140 !!!  We are missing you down here today Greg!!!  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Was more than happy to help! Safe travels back to Steeler country....

• Options
    edited July 2020

Missed going to the Chesapeake for the Rinkervous, but we got to make some memories on a different body of water. Got to meet @Liberty44140 and his wife. Thanks again to him for helping me out. We loved cruising the Erie islands and will be sure to go back. Thank you to our great forum members who gave us suggestions on places to go to. We didn’t get to all of them, but did hit up some of them. 

I had the photos in order, but the forum rearranged them. 

Post edited by Cableguy Greg on
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @cableguy greg = lucky man = beautiful ladies = pretty rinker = blue skies and smooth water
    great summa trip 
  • Options
    Great shots! Glad you all enjoyed the islands. The good news is that you had no problem getting dockage due to COVID and no crowds or crasyness, bad news is that so much is closed due to COVID so hopefully you come back in the future! 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Great pics!  Glad you got a great trip out of the long weekend!  Looks like a lot of fun & remember, you guys don't haver to wait until next year to come down here either!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    For guys that travel with their boats, how much do you watch wind forecasts?  My fear is arriving at our destination with winds exceeding my docking comfort zone.  Do you just bite the bullet and head in or do you employ a different strategy? 
    2008 350 EC