Options

Feedback on Plasteak CoolTeak faux teak decking?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
I'm looking for feedback on CoolTeak decking.  Anybody who has it, or has spent time on a boat that has it:
  • What color do you have?
  • How old is it?
  • Does it actually stay cool in hot sun?
  • Any issues with stains?
  • Any issues with scratches?

@JPC posted a thread about it in 2018, but then seems to have disappeared from the forum a short time later.  

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have flexiteek in the cruisers. It’s original from 2007. Looks great and is low maintenance but I’ll tell you it’s hot, not just hot but F ing hot. The new “cool” polymers lower the temp by 10 degrees which means it’s still crazy hot. So I plan to buy it make some runners. Right now we wear our flip flops outside. It cleans pretty easy and ours came with some stains that sanded out super easy. You can sand and keep sanding it over the years if you need to. I can’t say yet whether or not I’d buy it but I certainly don’t hate or regret it at this point.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    We found MarineMat to be much cooler than the other brands when evaluating them all, even SeaDek. But in full sun for an hour, even carpet is hot.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    We have flexiteek in the cruisers. It’s original from 2007. Looks great and is low maintenance but I’ll tell you it’s hot, not just hot but F ing hot. The new “cool” polymers lower the temp by 10 degrees which means it’s still crazy hot. So I plan to buy it make some runners. Right now we wear our flip flops outside. It cleans pretty easy and ours came with some stains that sanded out super easy. You can sand and keep sanding it over the years if you need to. I can’t say yet whether or not I’d buy it but I certainly don’t hate or regret it at this point.
    So what I think you’re saying, is it’s a little warm on your feet?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carpet don't get that hot...but it sure looks GREAT. Not going to tha trouble and expense to add runners.. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marine Mat won a shoot-out for coolest decking (by a pretty wide margin) when exposed to sun. If I can find the article I will post it. I have heard they are super to deal with.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    They were great for me when I did mine, Made my own template and sent in, they sent back test sheets to test fit then the finals. Corrected a couple of items without issue. I’d recommend them all the time.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/