Options

Right of way question

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
Question for captains and auxiliary out there. Can fisherman just stop in the middle of a public channel to fish, stopping traffic? Came in to our channel today, it’s not huge maybe 100’ wide. There is a fishing boat using his trolling motors to stop perpendicular taking up half the channel. A center console had to go around him since he stopped traffic and that center console ended up right in front of me. I let off my horn and the fishing vessel then became a part of traffic (i have a nice deep air horn). As they passed I told the center console I was not honking at him and told the fisherman that this is a public channel and not fishing grounds and he can not stop and tie up a channel. He looked at me blankly. I am 99.999% sure I am right. Confirmation? 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Yes you are correct. You cannot anchor or impede traffic in an entry to a navigable harbour or the travelway of a buoyed channel. We get idiots that anchor all the time just outside the entrance of our marina in the approach to the entry buoys. I usually show my displeasure by coming in on plane and chopping the throttle a 100 yards away and watch their eyes get big. I know I'm being a bit of an a$$ but I've never seen the same boat anchored there twice.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a boat accident near my previous house - Rideau River. Fishermen in the main channel were hit by another boater. No one badly injured, a few shaken-up, both boats (expensive) badly damaged. Because the was fisherman was anchored just around a bend the boater who hit him was not charged with inattention. The "captain" of the fishing boat was charged ($500.00 I believe, for unsafe operation) and had to pay for all boat damages plus the lawyer of the boat who hit him and had to sue him to collect. You can legislate rules but not intelligence!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See it all the time. Very stupid..
  • Options
    Very interesting MT. Yea will I was thinking I was right but I reached out to a friend who has his captains license and just went through the course. He sent me this link. Very clearly says fisherman can not impede passage:

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=rightOfWay

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shoot under a bridge... causeway, actually... it jas three channels under it... one the main ICW channel... the one I use is no wider than 25'... 

Coming home a couple weeks back a guy is literally tied to the pier of the bridge, and has completely blocked it.. another boat approached from the other side and hailed him forcing the guy to pull the stern line and pull the bow line... opening enough to let the center console pass.... the CC passes me and shakes his head... im on the approach and this clown amd his family (maybe it was his extended family there were so many on that boat) are trying to rehook the stern when they see me... 

The guy literally motioned in an aggrevated manner for me to go around and use another set of piers to pass between.... the he started to yell the same.... i kinda shut him down quick... of all those kids weren't present it would have been far worse.  

I told him its illegal to not only block a channel but also to tie off on a marker, which piers on both sides of him were (red/green official markers).... i told him the fine is substantial and if he preferred I could go get the coast guard I'd passed just a little distance away and let them interpret.. 

Here is the thing- I really don't think he knew.  Firmly informing likely wasn't needed, but i was kinda tweaked... 

The guy behind me was a straight jerk, though.... he came through while the guy was trying to untie and on plane.... dangerous and unnecessary... then, he turned and did it again.... i guess trying to make a point of some sort while endangering a guy who lacks experience, and more importantly the guys family.  

After seeing that I felt bad for the guy more than any aggrevation.  He didn't deserve that. He just needed to be told. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t forget crab pots in channels!! Very annoying 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,571 mod
    Okay, but no matter what else is happening, you are responsible for your wake.  Even if dummy is being a dummy, he doesn't suddenly give you the legal right to throw a wake that causes harm.  
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    the crab pots all over are annoying as heII. There was one dead center to the mouth of a channel here...where there's less than a foot on either side... partly wanted to pull it up and move it... but figured that would break some rule. Would be impossible to see at night on plane. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    In Virginia, it's a misdemeanor to put a crab pot in any government-marked navigation channel.  But it's boater-beware ... the owner of the crab pot is NOT liable for any damage caused by the pot.  

If you see one that illegally placed, and you want it gone, I'd say move it.  You're doing the owner a favor.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    A guy waked our club real bad last week. The new Harbormaster is a member. He jumped in the H/M boat and brought him back to the club. He stated he has been going bye the club for 40 years and never been pulled over. I said that means you have never been caught...lol. Cost him a $360 ticket and sends a message to others to stop  waking the club. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Hey Ray that’s interesting. Was the guy who got the ticket a member? How can a harbor master for a club give someone a ticket that is actually binding? 

• Options
    edited July 2020
    LaRea said:
    Okay, but no matter what else is happening, you are responsible for your wake.  Even if dummy is being a dummy, he doesn't suddenly give you the legal right to throw a wake that causes harm.  
    Understood. Would not do that. usually it's the sight of me coming in on full plane that puts the fear of the Lord into them. If it's just jammed right up, I don't of course.
    But here's another scenario, our marina is located in a shallow bay that is a favourite for both fishermen and boaters that literally leave the marina, motor out 500 yards and anchor all day. On a busy weekend there can be a couple hundred boats anchored all over starting about a mile and a half up the bay. I usually weave my way through on full plane for two reasons, the first being that at no-wake speed I'd be an hour getting through, the second is that at half speed I'm throwing an even larger wake. Again, only if I can safely keep distance. Am I a di(k?
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound that is a good question and in my opinion resides in the gap of etiquette and law...

a popular shoal (they call it a sandbar, but it's a dang shoal... ) here is less than 50 yards off the main channel to the inlet, which is less than a half mile away.  big boats come through at speed- and chunks some major wake.  

another popular shoal is tucked to one side of the inlet, and has a deep water channel along it, but IS NOT a 'marked' channel.  

if you speed along the first one (marked), no one has a right to complain... legal? don't know... but it's understood anchoring to the side of that channel is accepting the risk. 

if you speed along (on plane OR 'plowing') past the second one? you're going to get chased down and get an earful.  

i THINK the maritime law is "100 feet from an anchored vessel" but that isn't possible all the time.. so.. folks idle past or at least stay well below planing speeds... in your case? I'm thinking those folks anchored in, on, or near the main passage channel are taking their own responsibility for doing so... the only ones who get by with anchoring in the middle of the main channel here are the coast guard- and they do it often... and whistle you over to them as you pass (and it better be no wake when you are passing)... 

about my first post:  I was highly tweaked at the guy behind me purposely casting wake at the anchored guy and his family... first off, it's illegal and should be enforced (nobody around to do that)... second- it's the equiv of riding some poor old ladies backside on the road because she's going too slow- if she is so barely in charge of that vehicle she is going so slow, what makes a person believe she can handle the additional stress of a tailgater? and third: it's demonstrative of what our society had devolved into- someone being 'wronged' either real or just perceived, and thinking that justifies their unjust actions toward that person.  

• Options
    @212rowboat yep, agree with what you say pretty much 100%.
  • Options
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW!! Must’ve been the poor visibility @J3ff
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Hey Ray that’s interesting. Was the guy who got the ticket a member? How can a harbor master for a club give someone a ticket that is actually binding? 
    The guy who waked the club is not a member. He docks up the river from the club and the H/M is a member but he is the City.  Appointed by the Mayor and also an RBOC member as he just bought a 310 FV....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    The guy who waked the club is not a member. He docks up the river from the club and the H/M is a member but he is the City.  Appointed by the Mayor and also an RBOC member as he just bought a 310 FV....lol
    Ahh I get it, represents the city so he can write tickets. Cool! Wish we had something like that. Our channel is a cut through from the lake to the bay and boats going too fast is more the norm now than the exception. I hate being “that guy” to tell no wake but I am doing it more and more now bc these people have just no clue what a no wake zone means. 

• Options
    Last weekend, in the middle of a 1-mile no-wake zone at Alexandria, a 22-footer loaded with people got right next to us -- literally 30 feet away -- and started to get up on plane.  My Admiral, who is not shy, yelled at him.  There was some energetic discussion, with her insisting there was another half-mile of no-wake, and him insisting the no-wake was only near the bridge.  

Then my favorite part:  She said "I've been boating here for 25 years" and he said "well, I'm Coast Guard!"

To his credit, he did stay off plane, and eventually figured out where the no-wake zone ended.  
  • Options
    He is coast guard what? Passed their safe boating test? Has his 6 pack? Aux? Or an actual coastlie? I hope not the latter!